diy solar

diy solar

SSR for AGM battery

frankz66

Hi everyone, I wanted to know if this type of 100 amp SSR with heat sink could be fine if used to connect/disconnect the positive of a 48V 70 amp storage tank. Furthermore, are they reliable and have little voltage loss?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-27 alle 10.40.08.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-27 alle 10.40.08.png
    768 KB · Views: 9
Possibly, what's your actual application?

SSRs have a volt-drop and power dissipation (hence the heatsink), exactly what the numbers are should be in the device documentation.

They are (mostly) NOT bi-directional, so if you want charge and discharge currents to flow you need two SSRs in inverse-parallel.

You may actually be better using a nice, meaty, conventional relay.

I also note that yours is marked as 220V DC 50/60Hz :whistle:

SSRs have a volt-drop and power dissipation (hence the heatsink), exactly what the numbers are should be in the device documentation.

They are (mostly) NOT bi-directional, so if you want charge and discharge currents to flow you need two SSRs in inverse-parallel.

Hi, I know for sure that at the moment they are used to protect solar panels, so the current goes in and out, so unless I have understood the translation correctly, I don't understand what you mean.

"Protect" in what way?? Panels only send current in one direction.

The terminals are marked + and - for a reason.

The SSR only allows current flow from the + to the - .

Again, what is your actual application??

So just a resistive heater? That should work fine, but please make sure you have a separate overtemperature thermostat and overtemp/overpressure (plumbing) device and they are functional and also rated for DC.

Yeah, assuming that's what he meant, but why the mention of "AGM" which got me going in the battery direction.

Also, I wouldn't want to go over 50% rating on a long-term basis.

Yeah, assuming that's what he meant, but why the mention of "AGM" which got me going in the battery direction.

Also, I wouldn't want to go over 50% rating on a long-term basis.
48V AGM batteries and a 48V water heater? The DC thing trips up a lot of people, and hot water tank explosions (*) are nothing to sneer at.

(*) Yes, I know, it requires the primary control device (SSR) to fail on (or the control system hardware/software to get stuck)
AND
The backup/safety thermostat be the original AC-rated model (common mistake) and have it's contacts welded shut as a result
AND
The overtemp/overpressure valve fail in the stuck (or clogged) closed mode
AND
no-one notices that the home-made dump load is running 24x7.
However, the downside is pretty serious, and someone asking the questions above probably doesn't know about all of those fiddly details.
Google is your friend, look for hot water tank explosion.

Most of the ones I have seen use an IGBT and there will be a 1.6V or more loss. That is a lot of heat. 100A, who are they kidding.

48V AGM batteries and a 48V water heater? The DC thing trips up a lot of people, and hot water tank explosions (*) are nothing to sneer at.

(*) Yes, I know, it requires the primary control device (SSR) to fail on (or the control system hardware/software to get stuck)
AND
The backup/safety thermostat be the original AC-rated model (common mistake) and have it's contacts welded shut as a result
AND
The overtemp/overpressure valve fail in the stuck (or clogged) closed mode
AND
no-one notices that the home-made dump load is running 24x7.
However, the downside is pretty serious, and someone asking the questions above probably doesn't know about all of those fiddly details.
Google is your friend, look for hot water tank explosion.
I'm sorry but you misunderstood, the water heater has nothing to do with it! I'm talking about passing the positov of a battery through an SSR.

As written before, it should be used to pass the positive of a 48v battery.
Considering what you wrote and in order to understand, could you make a sketch of the use of the SSR?
Frank, you keep asking questions and when the answer from the experts doesn’t match your expectations you start to argue and treat people like they don’t understand your question.

The simple (if unpalatable) answer is that this is not a good idea for a number of reasons:

Those SSRs may be rated for 100A by the folks who want to sell them to you, but you can’t fit wires with 100A ampacity on those terminals which ought to tell you something.

A relay has essentially zero voltage drop and no dissipated power. An SSR will have a volt or two of voltage drop, you do the math.

Hot water heater dump loads at 48 Vdc require a lot more thought than just swapping out the heating element and hooking it up.

Search the forum for 100A SSR, pretty sure this has been discussed before (including one that failed and was replaced with a relay/contactor).

I'm sorry but you misunderstood, the water heater has nothing to do with it! I'm talking about passing the positov of a battery through an SSR.
Yes, absolutely that works. The results will depend on the load. If that’s a secret then say it’s a secret. If not help us help you by adding some more details.

Frank, you keep asking questions and when the answer from the experts doesn’t match your expectations you start to argue and treat people like they don’t understand your question.
I wasn't talking about changing the subject, just the fact that I didn't mention any scoundrels. The intent is to understand if an SSR can make VDC voltage and current flow from a 48V 50 ampere storage tank. I think the problem is traditional from Italian to English unfortunately! I'll attach the video link so maybe you can understand how SSRs are used to protect a system. This is an example, but what I wanted to do is linked to the flow of 48v batteries. I am a beginner and as such I struggle to explain and I want to underline that I am not changing anything, but I insist on a problem of understanding through Google translations. Here is the link to the video which shows just an example of the use of SSR, and from here you got the idea of being able to apply it to the 48V storage if possible. That's all .

Don't feel bad. There are only about a half dozen people here who know how to heat water properly. I just scanned thru the video quickly and he came to the conclusion quickly that solid state relays have too much loss. Those with an electronics background can switch electronically for less money and less than 1/2W loss. Those mechanical relays will likely have issues over time.

48V 50 ampere storage tank
Ah, indeed, a translation issue. If you are talking about a BATTERY, that's a whole different question.

Yes, an SSR can switch a DC current (in one direction only).

I really doubt this will work like you think it will, but you still haven't given us enough information to help you properly.

What do you have, and what exactly are you trying to do? The title says AGM, different posts say 50 or 70 amps, if you are switching a battery the current could be (briefly) essentially infinite.

Ah, indeed, a translation issue. If you are talking about a BATTERY, that's a whole different question.

Yes, an SSR can switch a DC current (in one direction only).

I really doubt this will work like you think it will, but you still haven't given us enough information to help you properly.

What do you have, and what exactly are you trying to do? The title says AGM, different posts say 50 or 70 amps, if you are switching a battery the current could be (briefly) essentially infinite.
Hello and thanks for at least partially understanding. I had inserted agm, because my aim would be to be able to switch two photovoltaic accumulators based on the battery voltage via a dry contact and SSR relays in order to use one or the other as a backup for the inverter. Looking carefully at the video, I noticed that the reason why the negative was connected to the SSR was because it wasn't working. Currently several users use SSR to save the regulator system from sudden storage disconnections. But as written before I would like to make an exchange between the accumulations. I opened another post about this.

diy solar

diy solar
Back