diy solar

diy solar

Battery charger 220v to 48 volts

frankz66

Hi everyone, I wanted to know how to connect a 48v battery charger for AGMs connected to the generator socket. My aim is to be able to charge my storage when I manually turn on the generator. Currently the storage is connected to both the epever 6415an and the inverter. If I buy a battery charger, do I think that connecting it to the 48V output of the battery is correct or not? Do you need diodes or SSR relays?? I need a simple diagram on how to do it. Thank you .
Can anyone point me to a power supply for this purpose?

Hi, It depends on the charger. Normally chargers provide current limiting so if your inverter power draw spikes part of the energy is supplied by the battery and part by the charger (up to the charger current limit). In such case one can simply connect the charger output to the battery-inverter bus.

However, then the question becomes, can this be left connected when not in use and the charger is powered down? Normally the answer would be yes, but again, best to check with the charger manufacturer.

Finally, how to connect the charger to the generator? When the generator is starting, unless itself it is inverter based, it will supply dirty power for brief time. Can the charger be left connected at all times or will it get damaged? Normally it shouldn't matter as most chargers these days use switch mode power supplies that are tolerant of some under/over voltage, but one should check with the manufacturer.

Edit: I just noticed, you're also asking for the charger suggestion. I believe people like the EG4 chargeverter.

I myself am still building my system. I'm planning to use two old ASCOM 1900W SMPS PSUs from an old GSM cell, but it is a very DIY route I'd not recommend for others :)

Hi, It depends on the charger. Normally chargers provide current limiting so if your inverter power draw spikes part of the energy is supplied by the battery and part by the charger (up to the charger current limit). In such case one can simply connect the charger output to the battery-inverter bus.

However, then the question becomes, can this be left connected when not in use and the charger is powered down? Normally the answer would be yes, but again, best to check with the charger manufacturer.

Finally, how to connect the charger to the generator? When the generator is starting, unless itself it is inverter based, it will supply dirty power for brief time. Can the charger be left connected at all times or will it get damaged? Normally it shouldn't matter as most chargers these days use switch mode power supplies that are tolerant of some under/over voltage, but one should check with the manufacturer.

Edit: I just noticed, you're also asking for the charger suggestion. I believe people like the EG4 chargeverter.

I myself am still building my system. I'm planning to use two old ASCOM 1900W SMPS PSUs from an old GSM cell, but it is a very DIY route I'd not recommend for others :)
Thank you so much for responding in detail. But this charger should only intervene manually via my manual action on the switch of the same battery charger. I wonder or rather if the battery charger should be permanently connected to the positive and negative pole but passively or rather turned off, does it absorb?

Thank you so much for responding in detail. But this charger should only intervene manually via my manual action on the switch of the same battery charger. I wonder or rather if the battery charger should be permanently connected to the positive and negative pole but passively or rather turned off, does it absorb?
You're welcome :)

I believe there is no problem leaving a well built charger like the chargeverter connected to the battery(both positive and negative) while unpowered. It will not consume any power from the battery, but you may prefer to keep it disconnected just in case some internal component fails and starts a fire.

If you don't need to use it very often (few times a year) I'd add a dedicated Andreson connector and plug it in every time.

If you do need it frequently there are few options to consider. There are mechanical switches, but I don't have much experience with them. I'm using one of these as a disconnect switch, but I'm not sure how many cycles it will last: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...ztT5Vx5N&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

There are also relays and SSRs, but I think for a manual setup it is overcomplicating things a bit, unless you have some reason to need them (ability to switch it on from far distance etc).

You're welcome :)

I believe there is no problem leaving a well built charger like the chargeverter connected to the battery(both positive and negative) while unpowered. It will not consume any power from the battery, but you may prefer to keep it disconnected just in case some internal component fails and starts a fire.

If you don't need to use it very often (few times a year) I'd add a dedicated Andreson connector and plug it in every time.

If you do need it frequently there are few options to consider. There are mechanical switches, but I don't have much experience with them. I'm using one of these as a disconnect switch, but I'm not sure how many cycles it will last: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004132644593.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.85a48Uz08Uz0DI&algo_pvid=0ac28523-5381-4c55-b727-beb9b13dc71c&algo_exp_id=0ac28523-5381-4c55-b727-beb9b13dc71c-0&pdp_npi=4@dis!PLN!316.30!316.42!!!78.26!78.29!@21038e7717164728025571593ec98a!12000028141493388!sea!PL!1666056024!&curPageLogUid=oRc1ztT5Vx5N&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

There are also relays and SSRs, but I think for a manual setup it is overcomplicating things a bit, unless you have some reason to need them (ability to switch it on from far distance etc).
Thank you so much for your suggestions and the time you have dedicated to me.

Back