diy solar

diy solar

Home standby generator charging in offgrid solar

aloyd

Good morning,

I am trying to help my neighbor complete his power system for his off grid cabin and have situation I have never experienced before. He bought a Generac home standby generator with the evolution 2 controller. This controller has a built in battery charger that requires a 120V source.

Information:
The built in battery charger's neutral is connected to a neutral bus inside the generator.
There is not a generator bypass in this system. Generator feeds the inverter and the inverter feeds the house.
The inverter is a XW pro and the Gen input and inverter output also have a common neutral.
not shown in my diagram is the DC side and grounding.

The plan is to install a fourth breaker in the distribution panel and jump the inverter output L1 to the new breaker and then to the battery charger.

My questions:

Do I need another neutral from the distribution panel to the generator for the battery charger?
Would there be any concern to run the generator and the battery charger at the same time?

Please see my attached drawing, note I used orange for the neutral.

Attachments

• IMG_20231229_082149308.jpg
    IMG_20231229_082149308.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 6
Just running the live wire to the box like your doing should be fine since its the same neutral bar you would be going to in the distribution box anyways right?

Back