diy solar

diy solar

Do I care if my generator is bonded neutral when powering an EG4 Chargeverter?

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
I know there are some issues with whether a generator is bonded neutral or floating neutral when its connected to the inverter, but in my case I am having my generator power an EG4 chargeverter that is connected straight to the DC bus bar. So should I care if the generator is bonded neutral or floating neutral?

Many thanks!

At first I would say "no" because the Neutral line is not used (connected) by the CV. But, if there could be a stray voltage through the Ground Line that could energize the shell of the CV.

At first I would say "no" because the Neutral line is not used (connected) by the CV. But, if there could be a stray voltage through the Ground Line that could energize the shell of the CV.

So do you think it better to keep the generator bonded to neutral in the generator while powering the CV?

I think it depends upon whether the outlet you plug into is grounded to the house or not. If the generator is grounded to the house, then I think you want Bonded Neutral (let spare electrons go to ground). Otherwise, I think you want floating (keep electrons inside the generator). If you have bonded ungrounded, then spare electrons gather on your frame (and ground line to the CV), and bad things can happen.

This is my guess. The people with electrical experience will know.

I think it depends upon whether the outlet you plug into is grounded to the house or not. If the generator is grounded to the house, then I think you want Bonded Neutral (let spare electrons go to ground). Otherwise, I think you want floating (keep electrons inside the generator). If you have bonded ungrounded, then spare electrons gather on your frame (and ground line to the CV), and bad things can happen.

This is my guess. The people with electrical experience will know.

It's just a stand alone generator that isn't connected to anything other than a cable that plugs into the CV.

I guess I'll make sure it's a floating neutral in the generator.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I know there are some issues with whether a generator is bonded neutral or floating neutral when its connected to the inverter, but in my case I am having my generator power an EG4 chargeverter that is connected straight to the DC bus bar. So should I care if the generator is bonded neutral or floating neutral?

Many thanks!

It's akin to just plugging an appliance into a generator sitting in the back of a truck.

I wouldn't worry about it but of course the proper way is to bond the neutral in the generator before the generators breaker.

If not plugging into a panel that’s bonded, the generator itself should be.

If not plugging into a panel that’s bonded, the generator itself should be.

Generator is just plugged into an EG4 chargeverter.

Generator comes with a bonded neutral and so the question I have is whether to unbond it inside the generator or not.

So far it seems some think it's better to be a floating neutral (which is how we have it now with our current generator) although you disagree?

Generator comes with a bonded neutral and so the question I have is whether to unbond it inside the generator or not.

So far it seems some think it's better to be a floating neutral (which is how we have it now with our current generator) although you disagree?
Either will work.

I'm not going to get involved with the debate between bonding or floating and the use of actual grounding rods with generators.

We also have a two wire start going into the generator from the Cerbo GX, I forgot about that. Not sure if that matters.

If not connecting to a bonded panel, recommended bonding at the generator to clear a fault. This way the generator could also be used for other things safely such as extension cords for other devices if needed.

Back