diy solar

diy solar

DC generator tied into DC bus...will batteries demand more current than the generator can deliver?

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
Right now I have an AC generator powering an EG4 chargeverter which is wired into the DC bus. The chargeverter allows setting the voltage and amperage.

I'm thinking about replacing this with a DC generator tied directly into the DC bus.

The load on it (outside the inverter demand) will be 8 x Pylontech US5000 batteries. They can only take 100A max charge current each. So they could take 800A of 48V current from the DC bus theoretically. They talk to the Victron system and limit what the MPPT puts out based on their charge current.

But the DC generator will not be talking to the Victron system. So would those batteries make for an 800A charge demand on that bus, and thus overload the generator? The generator manufacturer says we need to make sure the demand isn't more than the 125A the generator can supply, so I'm trying to figure out how I might be able to do that. He wrote:

The current depends on the load. The higher the voltage is set, the higher the current will climb, or the lower the voltage is off the batteries, the more the current will increase. While your system may ramp up or down the demand from the generator, it should be set to not exceed the capabilities of the generator so as not to overload it.

So I'm guessing this Aurora generator I'm looking at lacks whatever circuitry the EG4 Chargeverter has that limits its output. If that's the case, I'm not sure I'd be able to use this generator since I think the batteries would always demand more than it can produce?

Many thanks for any guidance!

Last edited:
Seems it would be an issue with over voltage. So we're gonna:
  • look into another model diesel DC generator that we think has a controller that will limit current output
  • look into using a Victron SmartSolar MPPT to take in DC power from the generator to supply to the bus
    • this seems like it might be a hack and not an approved method, so likely won't do this
  • consider sucking up the conversion inefficiency and just getting a diesel AC generator and continue to use the EG4 Chargeverter

Apparently my assumption that generators were default DC and needed extra equipment to become AC was incorrect. So apparently the loss in efficiency isn't much if anything by going with an AC generator, so we're going to pursue the diesel AC generator route like most others do and just keep using our EG4 Chargeverter. Which means trying to get about a 6KW generator since the EG4 can only output 5W and apparently the generator running at 80% is the sweet spot for longevity. I wish the EG4 came with a larger output, but it will do.

Back