diy solar

diy solar

Does EG4 CHARGEVERTER pass on neutral or ground to inverter/battery?????

RonMertesw

I'm building a 6000xp with eg4 powerpro..(To supplement my Grid setup). This will be attached to a Reliance 310C attached to main subpanel. Wanted to feed 6000xp from my grid outet (But clearly a ground nuetral ground loop). I know I can feed it from a dedicated Generator (Floating). I appear to have been reading that the chargeverter (Bypassing 6000xp and charging powerwall) may ensure this ground/neutral loop doe s NOT happen. I have seen a text from TimElectric(sorry just recolection), that it may allow this. SO I know if I drive my Chargeverter from an external motor generator(Floating) would work... But I ask, Exactly WHY...would the chargeverter pass on either nuetral OR ground... and why or why-not.... Thanks... Ron

It will is an isolated AC to DC power converter. I don’t know if the DC negative is grounded or floating (I suspect floating would be better for compatibility). It will take a few seconds for someone to test

The DC+ and DC- will have to be separate from AC hot/neutral to meet safety regulations, which mitigates a lot of the loop issue

You can also ask on the rectifier thread. DIY version. Chargenectifier . Same design concept and same class of charger modules. Though not the exact same ones

Double bonding for permanently installed equipment like this are not hard to get rid of. If you spam pictures / schematics of what you have you may get help in getting rid of it. The only case I’ve seen on this forum, that was a PITA, was V2L inverters where the bond is buried inside the car AND double bonding immediately causes the V2L GFCI to trip.

Battery system and MPPT can be pretty opinionated about grounding of DC- so good equipment makes bonding something you can customize

FWIW my design assumption is that chargeverter is isolated and decouples the AC systems. Would I check before plugging it in? Probably.

The chargeverter is no different from any other battery charger/ power supply in your computer. Why would it pass the ground/neutral to the DC side?

Zany.. no disrespect you may have in fact ansered the question.. I just needed to read it a couple times. But confirmation from others would be very welcome.. THANKS! Ron

Lt Dan... Thank you so much... I have not made it a point to understand the AC/DC Battery charger grounding relationship. What has confused me is that talking to some folks /vendors, I do NOT get a strait answer... Hence the needed confirmation... Actually explainning in detail how you say it is not possible... I would Thanks you... Regards.. Ron

BTW any power supply that passes neutral through to a DC- is much more dangerous because there is no guarantee that neutral is wired correctly. (The AC neutral could be hot). In some European countries they’ve even half given up on enforcing it.

Also the chargeverter is designed for 120V and 240V, in the latter case there is no neutral with the U.S. electrical system.

zany.. your the best.. how about ground? I assume earth ground going to house is NOT passed to DC (Not sure why.. but I assume DC does not really have a ground.. just +48v lead and 0volt lead...?

I expect it to not be grounded but I don’t have a solid explanation. If you don’t get an answer in a few days you can tag specific people or clean up the post title to be more targeted. Or ask in a thread of chargeverter owners. They just need to take DC voltage measurement from DC+ to G and see if there is a voltage.

I'm building a 6000xp with eg4 powerpro..(To supplement my Grid setup). This will be attached to a Reliance 310C attached to main subpanel. Wanted to feed 6000xp from my grid outet (But clearly a ground nuetral ground loop). I know I can feed it from a dedicated Generator (Floating). I appear to have been reading that the chargeverter (Bypassing 6000xp and charging powerwall) may ensure this ground/neutral loop doe s NOT happen. I have seen a text from TimElectric(sorry just recolection), that it may allow this. SO I know if I drive my Chargeverter from an external motor generator(Floating) would work... But I ask, Exactly WHY...would the chargeverter pass on either nuetral OR ground... and why or why-not.... Thanks... Ron
The Chargeverter is isolated between the AC and DC sides. Nothing is passed through.

Battery -> AC (inverter side) is generally also isolated. It's isolated in all the schematics I've seen on this forum.

So from that isolation, it's unlikely for ground current to flow (these are the strongest definition of separately derived), and it also reduces the damage blast radius if one of the DC conductors is improperly grounded.

Thank you guys so much for input...Thanks Zany for the details. An Thans Tim for netting it out indicating neither can be passed from chargeverter no matter what input chargeverter is getting its AC... (Floating generator or grid ac inputs)...THANKS

Back