diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000xp Neutral and ground showing 40volts

eodkeith

Hello all!

I recently designed and built a relatively simple off grid system consisting of the new EG4 6000xp, 2x lifepower4 48v/100a batteries, and 16x 305watt panels.

So far I love the system and it is perfect for running a workshop, at least of my needs. While doing checks on the system during and after assembly I noticed roughly 40volts between the unit neutral and ground bar while under load. Additionally, if I probe between either of the lines and ground I will find 120volts. I have disabled the unit ground neutral bond as well as never installed on my 100 amp breaker that is attached to the AC out.

The unit is completely off grid and can be treated the same in its stock configuration? Is there an issue here, maybe a defective product or is it just my inexperience? Also worth mentioning is that the unit is functioning properly and does not display any faults.
Thank you in advance for any help or constructive criticism.

You have some strangely conflicting information.
I noticed roughly 40volts between the unit neutral and ground bar while under load.
Not normal. Indicates a problem with the N/G bonding.
Additionally, if I probe between either of the lines and ground I will find 120volts.
Normal. Indicates that you have a functioning N/G bond.
I have disabled the unit ground neutral bond as well as never installed on my 100 amp breaker that is attached to the AC out.
There appears to be a N/G bond somewhere. Probably two, because you are seeing a voltage drop at higher loads.
You appear to have neutral current flowing on your ground conductor. This needs to be corrected. You can use a clamp on amp meter on the ground conductor to see how much. And work your way through the system to see where it's coming from. You can start by turning breakers off, one at a time while measuring.

@timselectric Just to clarify, these voltages are being pulled directly from the unit terminals and bus bars. I remove all hook ups to the main panel to eliminate that possibility.

I’m currently chasing down two other possibilities right now. 1) a cheap multimeter and 2) weird grounds in the property. Will keep everyone updated.

The N-G bonding should be done one of two ways in an off-grid system.

1700437030612.png

OR

1700437084027.png

I would personally do the bond in the breaker box. (Why count on a relay when you can hard wire the bond with a jumper)

Attachments

• 1700436993039.png
    1700436993039.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 12
@FilterGuy I understand the ground neutral bond. I have disabled it on the unit and never engaged it on the main breaker box, which has been verified with a DMM.

Additionally, as previously stated, I have removed the main panel from the EG46000xp.
I’m thinking it may be RMA time.

@FilterGuy I understand the ground neutral bond. I have disabled it on the unit and never engaged it on the main breaker box, which has been verified with a DMM.

Additionally, as previously stated, I have removed the main panel from the EG46000xp.
I'm confused. Where is the ground neutral bond in your system?

The unit is completely off grid and can be treated the same in its stock configuration?
There are many settings and it is hard to imagine an install that would not need some settings changed. However, as it comes from the factory the internal static bonding relay is disabled. Consequently, an 'as-shipped' configuration will require an external N-G bond.
I have disabled it on the unit and never engaged it on the main breaker box, which has been verified with a DMM.

Edit: Corrected the inverter name
The 6000XP is a common-neutral architecture. It does *not* do dynamic bonding. Either the static bond relay must be enabled or there must be a bond external to the inverter. (Never both)

Could you provide a diagram of your system? Where is the N-G bond in the system? From the description, it sounds like there isn't one. (That would describe the 40V from Neutral to ground.)

Based on the information provided, I don't think there is a problem with the unit.

Last edited:
There are many settings and it is hard to imagine an install that would not need some settings changed. However, as it comes from the factory the internal static bonding relay is disabled. Consequently, an 'as-shipped' configuration will require an external N-G bond.

The 8000XP is a common-neutral architecture. It does *not* do dynamic bonding. Either the static bond relay must be enabled or there must be a bond external to the inverter. (Never both)

Did you mean to say "6000XP" ?

@timselectric Just to clarify, these voltages are being pulled directly from the unit terminals and bus bars. I remove all hook ups to the main panel to eliminate that possibility.

I’m currently chasing down two other possibilities right now. 1) a cheap multimeter and 2) weird grounds in the property. Will keep everyone updated.
Lowes has a lot of ideal multimeters on sale right now. Only cat 3 but for your use case would be fine

Have you found the issue yet?

The 6000XP is a common-neutral architecture. It does *not* do dynamic bonding. Either the static bond relay must be enabled or there must be a bond external to the inverter. (Never both)
Where in the settings for the inverter can you enable the ground neutral bond? I haven't seen this setting anywhere in the app. Is it somewhere on the menu?

I’m a newcomer and never worked with electricity - so looking for a simple answer. No Transfer Switch right now. Currently, I plan to use my 6000xp as outage back up. I have no panels. Scenario: power outage, string some extension cords to power fridges/freezers, internet/wifi, some strings of led lights. To recharge, I’ll run a portable generator and I understood I’d better use something like a Chargeverter instead going directly to the inverter.

Is that accurate? The other solution is assuming the power is only out for a few hours, I’d charge from the inverter with it connected by AC to the grid.

Am I changing this #26 setting in these conditions?

The N-G bonding should be done one of two ways in an off-grid system.

View attachment 178782

OR

View attachment 178783

I would personally do the bond in the breaker box. (Why count on a relay when you can hard wire the bond with a jumper)
Just wanted to say thanks for this. I just this morning set up my 6000xp and 2 lifepower4 with 12, 380 watt panels completely off-grid. Tonight as the solar power was fading and the batteries were taking over. I noticed my led lights were flickering. Thats when it hit me that i had forgot to install neutral ground bonding screw in my offgrid main panel. So i installed the screw in my offgrid main panel. Then realized the 6000xp was capable of doing this for me. Went back and fourth with myself on what way is better. Glad i made this account, thanks again for clearing this up.

Back