diy solar

diy solar

Stacking batteries?

Tbj35j

Stacking batteries?
Can I stack my batteries 3 high?
The batteries are 12/300ah at 70lbs. Each.
I'm putting small spacer for air flow.
They will be strapped down.
Oh. They are in my van.
Can the bottom battery handle the 140 lbs.

Thanks

It really depends on how you're stacking them, and the specific construction of the cell. I've never seen a spec for this in the data sheets, but we do have to compress them on their largest faces, so those sides should be able to handle significant weight. That said, the bottom would be more compressed than the top one, which may result in less than ideal lifetime.

Further, the spacers would present point loads, rather than the full-face compression the data sheets suggest. Not only would the compression be inadequate, but the point loads may crush the thin aluminum casing.

I don't think it's a viable plan, but you should ask your supplier - they will have an actual answer relevant to the cells you actually have.

Stacking also implies that the cells will be on their sides. While some cells seem to be "ok" on the side, it is never the best orientation. I would avoid directly stacking for that reason. Also, should you need to get at some individual cells for testing or maintenance, on shelves you could remove some cells on the bottom without disassembling the whole battery.

Being 12v they're in a box. The question is how strong is the box.
I got to say those are big batteries. Tell me about them.

Last edited:
Stacking batteries?
Oh. They are in my van.

Thanks
I see you are planning to stack premade batteries and not individual cells. That would be a question best posed to the manufacturer. You have not mentioned the manufacturer of the batteries or provided a link to them. So it's impossible for anyone to answer your question.

Stacking batteries?
Oh. They are in my van.

Thanks
If they were not in a van I would say yes and then have some reservations but in a van that is a definite NO.

I have decided to build a battery rack.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I see you are planning to stack premade batteries and not individual cells. That would be a question best posed to the manufacturer. You have not mentioned the manufacturer of the batteries or provided a link to them. So it's impossible for anyone to answer your question.
Thanks Gazoo.
After reading all that replied to my question I'm going to build a steel rack for the batteries. There also will have absorbing pads to help with being in a van.
Thanks again

Back