diy solar

diy solar

Stealth Camper Van proposal - Any ideas or input is appreciated.

Raith James

(Objective)
I am interested in building a stealth camping van using a Ford Transit Connect. I like the style and price of the 2013 model white contractor Mini-Van with the ladder racks. I only have enough room on the top of the van for two 100 watt solar panels. So max of 200 watts of solar. Going to use glass panels instead of the flexible variety as Will suggested. The remainder of the roof will be occupied by a glass boat hatch and a large 12 volt cooling fan for temperature control. Take a look at this youtube video, it pretty well sums up the layout of the van I am proposing to build minus the fancy wood cabinetry.

(Alternative Power Source -other than solar)
With only 200 watts of solar, it's going to be essential to use the alternator and shore power (AC connection) to augment the reduced solar charging. I just saw Will's video on the difficulties of using a vehicle charging system (alternator) to charge lithium batteries. I'm going to have to do more research on this aspect and come up with a better solution. Any suggestions would be appreciated on this matter. What about using the Renogy DC-DC battery charger? Also considered carrying two of those Renogy suitcase 100 watt panels as a tactical solution while stopped. I think they will take up a lot of storage space that is in high demand for such a small van, plus they would destroy the illusion of it being just a working vehicle.

(Power Requirements)
The system I am proposing is going to have a modular (removable) 'power generator' like the Bluetti for power harvesting, storage and distribution. I will wait as Will suggested until they increase the voltage on the regulated 12 volt power to 13 + volts and hope for improvements in the rate of charging before I move on the Bluetti. The anticipated power requirements are minimal, i.e. Macbook pro, 4 x 12 volt LED's, couple QC usb charging ports with the biggest demand being a small 12 volt fridge.
I haven't settled on the fridge yet, but I like the compactness of the Alpicool C20 Portable Refrigerator 21 Quart version. I would like to have a single electric element stove or a small microwave but I think the draw might be too great for a system with only 200 watts of solar. I will probably replace the electric burner with a butane camping stove and forgo the microwave to save space. For temperature regulation in such a small space, I will probably just re-direct the vehicles existing heating and air conditioning system. I haven't figure out how to redirect the venting through the metal wall separating the driver's compartment from the storage area in the back. Either way, the use of the large 12 volt fan and ability to open the glass hatch will aid in cooling.

(Considerations - Limited Space)
After reviewing a lot of gear used by thru hikers on the net like 'darwin on the trail', 'Dixie', and 'Jupiter hikes', I came to the conclusion that I don't really need a lot of stuff to travel and camp in a van. These thru hikers survive with a base weight (camping equipment not including food or water) of under 10lbs while walking for thousands of miles. The use of ultralight camping equipment in the construction of the van will maximize the use of space and minimize weight. (Eg. helinox chair zero 17oz, BRS UL camp stove, thermarest neo xlite max etc.). Other creative items could be incorporated like a large black plastic 'pipe carrier' on the roof that could be filled with water for a gravity fed hot water shower system. See youtube video below for concealed shower tank.

For washroom facilities there is always the venerable Canadian 'luggable loo'. It can be stored easily in the back and the addition of sawdust with the plastic bags reduces the smell to zero. See attached youtube link.

The sky's the limit for creative space saving ideas. If you have any, let me know.

(Considerations - Security)
The greatest problem we face in a modern society is that we try to seek happiness through the accumulation of material goods. It occupies a great deal of our time and crowds all aspects of healthy living. We are so busy researching which stuff to buy, worrying about our stuff and protecting our stuff, that we don't really enjoy our stuff. I came to this obvious revelation while considering what stuff I need to buy to build the ultimate stealth van. LOL.
Probably the biggest issue I see when stealth camping in urban areas is not to attract attention and how to properly secure your stuff when you are not around I found Will's video on tips for urban vehicle camping very insightful.

So, the best formula is to hide in plane sight and not attract any attention. The Ford transit connect I am considering is ideal for this deception. For all intent and purpose, it's a white contractor van. It has a ladder roof rack (ideal for concealing solar panels on the roof). The absence of windows on the back and sliding doors with the addition of a metal separated at the rear of the driver's compartment make it a secure metal box. To complete the deception slap on a couple of removable magnetic company signs on the outside of the van. Something like ' Bob's Pest Control' would be ideal to convey the contents of the van are unworthy of a thief's attention. Well unless they are in the market for pesticides and bug spraying equipment. So you can leave your vehicle with confidence knowing your valuables are safely stored in a secure metal box.

Additional security could be installed that would require modest power increases and expense. The Arlo Pro 2 camera system could be secreted in the roof rack. Include wifi cell modem for internet connectivity and the remote alarms/video images can be exported to a remote cell phone.

So there it is. Let me know your thoughts if any.

Last edited:
Find out from the Ford upfitter manual or guide what the maximum usable alternator current is. Most upfitter resources will list thins. Buy the largest dc-dc charger that fits within those specifications. Buy a shore power charger that puts out a maximum of. 5c of your pack size.

Just reading up on DC to DC chargers. The more I read the more confusing it gets. There is the isolator option. What really makes things complicated is when you use lithium batteries over standard deep cycle lead acid batteries. The low resistance of the lithium batteries can cause an overdraw from the alternator and it can get damaged. Watched a video of an alternator start to smoke when improperly installed. More complications arise when you want to implement solar charging at the same time with either shore power (AC) and charging from the alternator. Then trying to find a complete 'power generator' like the Bluetti that can be integrated into the whole system. Seems it might be best to just buy the parts individually and build from scratch. I like the idea of being able to remove the 'power generator' and use it away from the van with a couple of those suitcase solar panels.
I will take your advice and look up the max alternator current that can be afforded by the ford's alternator. By .5C so you mean half of the banks total capacity? Thanks for your input by the way.

Well, to read that title literally, it sounds like you plan to propose in the van, so my advice is "don't". Take her out to dinner, have roses waiting on her chair, and do it just before dessert. (I suggest chocolate mousse. Women love chocolate.)

But a proposal in a stealth van.... eh, not so sure.

DC-DC chargers will limit the amp draw from the alternator to that of their highest rating. You could only overcurrent the alternator if you installed too large of a charger. Hence my sizing recommendation above.

Well, to read that title literally, it sounds like you plan to propose in the van, so my advice is "don't". Take her out to dinner, have roses waiting on her chair, and do it just before dessert. (I suggest chocolate mousse. Women love chocolate.)

LOL...I see your point. Well we've been together for 38 yrs so if I haven't made the move yet I never will.

I am being to see the light. Looking at the "50A DC-DC Renogy On board battery charger with MPPT". Only $100 Cdn on amazon. Cheaper than buying the 40 A Renogy DC to DC by itself. Weird. There has to be a catch why this is so cheap. So if I go the piece meal route, and use this unit and buy a lithium battery, I only have to figure out a way to handle the shore power charging. Maybe look for a transfer switch with a ac to dc charging unit. Not sure if I would have to stop the solar charging while on shore power is on or both could run at the same time. I have time to work on this. I will focus on getting the van in the next month or so. Lots to choose from. Maybe I should wait till after the holiday when people are strapped for cash.....

Here's the transfer switch from Will's sight..."MOES Dual Power Controller 50A automatic transfer switch..for $120 Cdn. Now I need a battery charger.
The parts and prices are starting to pile up. Wish they had a "power generator" that did it all....

Ed, affairs of the heart, proceed with caution!

Back