diy solar

diy solar

Noob question for van system

Whereiszack

Hi,

I'm eyeing these batteries from BatteryHookup.com. Would these be a good way to go for a van build? They seem like a great price for the roughly 14Kwh battery bank I'd like to build.

My intention is to build a 24V system as I think 12V will wind up too restrictive for our power consumption given that myself and my partner will be working and living in the van full time. I have 700w (4x Renogy 176w panels) I plan to use in addition to alternator charging when driving and we were planning to use induction for cooking to avoid having to deal with propane anymore.

Thanks for any of your time and thoughts!

Probably useless info: I currently have a sprinter van with 200w of solar and Lead Acid batteries that are basically toast. I didn't design the system, so I don't know that much about it and am prepared to completely redo it without reusing any parts if necessary.

Would try to get more solar up there if you can. 14,000kwh / 700w = 20 hours. Granted, flat mounted panels will seldom see maximum power production, and you probably won't completely deplete your batteries. Residential panels are about 40"x80", not sure if you can mount them crossways on a Sprinter.

You might want to consider a second alternator. Might want to check on the Sprinter forum and see what other are doing with theirs, but I imagine that you'd be lucky to get a 1000w into the battery while converting from 12v to 24v with from the stock alternator, which would be 14hrs to fully charge a 14kwh battery bank.

There's always short power and/or a generator, but that's not what most vanlifers are looking to do.

Consider a 24 volt battery, 8 series cells, with a 200 amp 8s BMS . Two 12v batteries in series each with its own BMS may/will have issues.
Induction cooking will require a 3000 watt inverter, hence the need for a 200 amp BMS.

For alternator charging with the vehicle alternator use a 12 to 24 DC to DC charger, limit the draw on the stock alternator to around 60 amps. As suggested a second alternator conversion is possible, but replacing the stock alternator with a high power unit is also possible.

Adding a second alternator,

Hi,

I'm eyeing these batteries from BatteryHookup.com. Would these be a good way to go for a van build? They seem like a great price for the roughly 14Kwh battery bank I'd like to build.

My intention is to build a 24V system as I think 12V will wind up too restrictive for our power consumption given that myself and my partner will be working and living in the van full time. I have 700w (4x Renogy 176w panels) I plan to use in addition to alternator charging when driving and we were planning to use induction for cooking to avoid having to deal with propane anymore.

Thanks for any of your time and thoughts!

Probably useless info: I currently have a sprinter van with 200w of solar and Lead Acid batteries that are basically toast. I didn't design the system, so I don't know that much about it and am prepared to completely redo it without reusing any parts if necessary.

I have built out a couple of Promasters. Not #vanlife , but more TravelVans.

So a 24v house battery for your Sprinter ? Seems reasonable 👍.

My recommendation is to not buy anything yet. Perform a load calculation spreadsheet or what some might refer to as an “energy audit” first. Understand what your Sprinter can provide you for alternator charging power. Finally, Design your electrical system before you buy anything. If you are going to reuse anything from your existing system then you can see if it fits into your new design.

I have built out a couple of Promasters. Not #vanlife , but more TravelVans.

So a 24v house battery for your Sprinter ? Seems reasonable 👍.

My recommendation is to not buy anything yet. Perform a load calculation spreadsheet or what some might refer to as an “energy audit” first. Understand what your Sprinter can provide you for alternator charging power. Finally, Design your electrical system before you buy anything. If you are going to reuse anything from your existing system then you can see if it fits into your new design.
Seems like solid advice. Thank you. I definitely have plenty to learn.

Consider a 24 volt battery, 8 series cells, with a 200 amp 8s BMS . Two 12v batteries in series each with its own BMS may/will have issues.
Induction cooking will require a 3000 watt inverter, hence the need for a 200 amp BMS.

For alternator charging with the vehicle alternator use a 12 to 24 DC to DC charger, limit the draw on the stock alternator to around 60 amps. As suggested a second alternator conversion is possible, but replacing the stock alternator with a high power unit is also possible.

Adding a second alternator,
Thank you for the advice. I'll factor it into my build plans and come back here with it all fleshed out!

Would try to get more solar up there if you can. 14,000kwh / 700w = 20 hours. Granted, flat mounted panels will seldom see maximum power production, and you probably won't completely deplete your batteries. Residential panels are about 40"x80", not sure if you can mount them crossways on a Sprinter.

You might want to consider a second alternator. Might want to check on the Sprinter forum and see what other are doing with theirs, but I imagine that you'd be lucky to get a 1000w into the battery while converting from 12v to 24v with from the stock alternator, which would be 14hrs to fully charge a 14kwh battery bank.

There's always short power and/or a generator, but that's not what most vanlifers are looking to do.
I would love to double my solar up there and very well might at some point by having a second layer underneath and a rack system that allows my upper panels to tilt down off the driver side of the van, but for now, I'll be stuck with 700W. I don't have the time to build out something like that just yet, and 700W is absolutely maxing out my roof right now. I am in an 8-week welding course currently, so I can learn to weld and make the necessary racks for the van.

My hope was that the extra capacity would get me through when I wasn't driving and recharging off the alternator, but I have more calculations to make to figure that out for sure.

Back