diy solar

diy solar

Buy now or wait? 48v battery build

mjgillen

Hello all,

I've been shopping around a bit and ran across this from Battery Hookup and wonder if this is a great deal or should I wait and shop around more as prices continue to fall? I know its a gamble just asking what the consensus was (if there is one). I am in no hurry am thinking about June to actually start the battery build. Will be getting my MPP LV6548 tomorrow so kind of excited but SWMBO has not approve the battery purchase yet.

The batteries I am looking at are EVE Grade A 3.2v 280ah cells for $110 each. The would ship from USA East Coast (I am USA West Coast). Add in the "diysolar" 5% discount code and 16 cells shipped to me including tax is $1933.27

Thoughts? Wait? Buy now? Not a great deal there are better?

Thanks,
Michael

I'd shop around a bit.
18650 battery store, Ezealco, Gobel power are a few sites I check frequently as well as Battery Hookup.
The BH price isn't bad but you should be able to do better by a couple hundred at least.

Thank you for your advice.
Are there any of these companies in the Los Angeles area? I could drive up there (60 miles or so) and save shipping.

Michael

Hello all,

I've been shopping around a bit and ran across this from Battery Hookup and wonder if this is a great deal or should I wait and shop around more as prices continue to fall? I know its a gamble just asking what the consensus was (if there is one). I am in no hurry am thinking about June to actually start the battery build. Will be getting my MPP LV6548 tomorrow so kind of excited but SWMBO has not approve the battery purchase yet.

The batteries I am looking at are EVE Grade A 3.2v 280ah cells for $110 each. The would ship from USA East Coast (I am USA West Coast). Add in the "diysolar" 5% discount code and 16 cells shipped to me including tax is $1933.27

Thoughts? Wait? Buy now? Not a great deal there are better?

Thanks,
Michael
I bought 32 if those batteries and am very happy with them.

They tell you their count, so you could check everyday and buy if count starts getting low.
You could also "dollar cost average your way into the batteries. Ie buy 16 now. 4 months during not buy another 16. If they are lower great if not no big deal

I've browsed Jag35 and Battery hookup for more than a year and now it's cheaper to buy off Amazon complete batteries than buy the surplus stuff. This shows as other products like solar panels and equipment are showing up on sites that once specialized in just batteries.

Lifepo4 has hit the curve where surplus or used doesn't have the values it did even a few months ago, which looking forward is great for those looking to build on increase there storage projects

It is possible that the price could continue to go down but I wouldn't want to get caught with no batteries at all when Taiwan kicks off. Also I think it is really good to test, learn about and practice using your system while grid is stable.

It is possible that the price could continue to go down but I wouldn't want to get caught with no batteries at all when Taiwan kicks off. Also I think it is really good to test, learn about and practice using your system while grid is stable.

Its lower cost to buy on Amazon, if one wants to learn, then do this and tear is apart and rebuild using the cells and your own bms and case.

There isn't a single battery on the surplus site that I've seen that saves any $$ just when comparing cells, let alone all the parts in addition one gets with fully built battery's.

I've browsed Jag35 and Battery hookup for more than a year and now it's cheaper to buy off Amazon complete batteries than buy the surplus stuff. This shows as other products like solar panels and equipment are showing up on sites that once specialized in just batteries.

Lifepo4 has hit the curve where surplus or used doesn't have the values it did even a few months ago, which looking forward is great for those looking to build on increase there storage projects
Solar Guppy can you recommend a couple of sellers on Amazon?

Solar Guppy can you recommend a couple of sellers on Amazon?

Its constant change in which has the best price, what I do is find a couple and add to cart, then save for later and will be notified of price changes.

I've seen the 12V 30Ah for $63 ( now $70 ) delivered on amazon , compare that to batteryhookup that wants $12.5 dollars each for just 25 Ah old cells without shipping.

There are dozens of choices in the $170 to $200 for 100 Ah, can't buy cells only delivered for that?

I'm NOT on the West Coast, but find it hard to believe no distribtuion of 280ah-305ah Lithium cells anywhere. Hell, its the import hub of of Pacific USA. Just saying.
Possibly skim eBay for Lithium storefronts out of California. This is where I have purchased sometimes hard to source JK BMS units.

I'm NOT on the West Coast, but find it hard to believe no distribtuion of 280ah-305ah Lithium cells anywhere. Hell, its the import hub of of Pacific USA. Just saying.
Possibly skim eBay for Lithium storefronts out of California. This is where I have purchased sometimes hard to source JK BMS units.
Good suggestion!

Cell prices haven't dropped much since beginning of January, I think they have dropped as low as they will get so probably will either stay here or go up. I keep hearing lithium mines shutting down because of low prices so expect something similiar as in 2021 when lithium prices jumped 200-300%.

You need to take in to account political issues too. Increased tariffs the dollar losing strength on the worlds market are a strong possibility in the moths ahead.

Back