diy solar

diy solar

stickies!

NwCali

Solar Enthusiast
Other forums I've been a part of have stickies! Post that someone writes that covers a lot of ground on a certain topic that is considered the "bible" on that topic, and those post are always at the top of the areas you can click on.

As far as I've seen, that doesn't happen here. One purpose of a sticky is to make multiple post about already covered and known topics easily searched for and answered.

The "resources" button is convoluted to me.

I've been wanting to read a post about how to best match your panels to your MPPT controller. Yet I've been unable to find post that cover this properly. I guess I'll now try and write one when my panels are all in connected to my charge controller, and if I do it well enough and with others inputs and some revisions I'd like to see a "sticky" made out of it.

I read a post on MPPT versus PWM and people went back and forth. From what I can tell PWM is mainly good when using panels just above battery voltage (a certain percentage) while MPPT has a big advantage due to being able to increase voltage in larger systems so you can lesson the wire size or account for longer runs. A well done "sticky" on this would be like gold.

To be clear, I'm not wanting this post to be about solar panels strings or charge controllers (I might have mistated things for all I know). I want it to be about peoples thoughts on "sticky" post and us having a "bible" of sorts so repeated (but needed) questions are easily sourced.

Thanks!!!!!

Generic answers aren't always helpful. Everyone's systems are different. So, answers are specific to the system parameters and individual needs.

i like stickies; sometimes becoming very long, thus counterintuitively reducing knowledge accessibility. not always!

there is a wiki section of the site, and i wrote an article about HVAC but its formatted horribly lmao.

basically for condensed stuff i personally prefer aiming for wiki and general audience, since individual threads often contain lots of circumstance specific context that may or may not apply to the next reader

stickies ?

wiki for distilling/easy access ?

thank you for your contributions to the forum!

seeking increased knowledge accessibility is very laudable in my humble opinion ??

the wiki

Other forums I've been a part of have stickies! Post that someone writes that covers a lot of ground on a certain topic that is considered the "bible" on that topic, and those post are always at the top of the areas you can click on.

As far as I've seen, that doesn't happen here. One purpose of a sticky is to make multiple post about already covered and known topics easily searched for and answered.
Few and far between they are but I did see one get added the other day. (y)
The "resources" button is convoluted to me.
To be clear, I'm not wanting this post to be about solar panels strings or charge controllers (I might have mistated things for all I know). I want it to be about peoples thoughts on "sticky" post and us having a "bible" of sorts so repeated (but needed) questions are easily sourced.

Thanks!!!!!

Well done.
Perhaps the term "BEST ANSWER" could be introduced to aid in searching for something as well.

this has me thinking... how about Search Term Sticky Threads??

a stickied thread primer on what types of search terms to use to find a few example topics

e.g. "search for absorption if you are looking for information about charger settings"

some folks encourage use of search, and i'll be darned if every time it's obvious what to type, in order to find the thing

How about just ask the question, and we'll do our best to answer.

This is a pretty active forum, by modern standards.
I enjoy the interaction but sometimes it's better for everyone if I can study the approach to and ultimately the final solution, hence "best answer".

I think stickies are an excellent source of information. Some stickies stuck to each forum should be a good thing.
On the other hand.
How will I learn about "what not to do" without all the discussion.

haha how crazy if it were possible to search for threads and filter by OP of thread, not exact username. search for "BEST ANSWER" by OP of thread and gold mine of knowledge explodes

haha how crazy if it were possible to search for threads and filter by OP of thread, not exact username. search for "BEST ANSWER" by OP of thread and gold mine of knowledge explodes
Should we be so lucky, we would need to come back and edit out all our "best answers" from this thread. I would dance a jig while doing so. :)

Back