diy solar

diy solar

Stumped with Combo Meter Panel and CT Sensor

TropicalTodd

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm currently in the middle of my solar install. Gird tie 9.6KW PV with Sol-Ark 12K emp.

I was in the process of getting my main breaker de-rated to 175 Amps when I realized that my Combo Meter panel has the hard bus bar connections between the meter and the Main shut-off breaker. Speaking with Sol-Ark, there are no rope style CT sensors that will work with Sol-Ark 12K.

So now I'm not sure what direction to go.

-Can you place the CT sensors on the main lines before the meter?
-Do I need to replace the entire panel with a new box that will allow for CT sensors
-Can I just add a sub-panel between the Sol-Ark and the Combo panel and put CT sensor to those leads? If so, what size panel would that require?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm currently in the middle of my solar install. Gird tie 9.6KW PV with Sol-Ark 12K emp.

I was in the process of getting my main breaker de-rated to 175 Amps when I realized that my Combo Meter panel has the hard bus bar connections between the meter and the Main shut-off breaker. Speaking with Sol-Ark, there are no rope style CT sensors that will work with Sol-Ark 12K.

So now I'm not sure what direction to go.

-Can you place the CT sensors on the main lines before the meter?
-Do I need to replace the entire panel with a new box that will allow for CT sensors
-Can I just add a sub-panel between the Sol-Ark and the Combo panel and put CT sensor to those leads? If so, what size panel would that require?
I am in the same situation. I am planning to tap ct to main line coming to the meter. I am not bypassing the meter or anything. it is just reading the current. at least that would be my excuse.

I am in the same situation. I am planning to tap ct to main line coming to the meter. I am not bypassing the meter or anything. it is just reading the current. at least that would be my excuse.
Do you have a link to any information on this? If that is a viable option it would very easy for me to finish my setup.

For single phase it is usually possibly to put a CT around each hot at some point on the bus, but it is tricky. For my panel there was more space ahead of the main than after.

Does the optional ct’s available from solarark not accomplish what you need? They have a specific option for a larger window ct for bussbars. This is from the 15K manual. Their CT’s are true CT’s. They provide a current output, not mv output like rope CT’s. One could buy/make a converter but is an advanced solution.

CC8E5B9C-F88C-4CA2-93D6-5321B3B3A230.jpeg

Not enough room in behind the bus bars for standard CT to fit.

Heard back from Sol-Ark, they don't recommend installing CT before meter and said local utility would probably have issue with that setup as well.

Normally to get access to the lines before the meter socket, you need permission to disconnect the meter and someone from the power company has to do that for you.

In Ohio, my Poco strictly forbids anything inside the meter can. From a liability standpoint they are responsible to the first disconnect. The meter box is a no fly zone here, YMMV. We are not allowed meter/main combos like yours due to this. A clear line of demarcation. One could make a lame argument that your CT’s could cause meter reading issues. It is lame, but their argument.

There are companies that will wind custom CT’s. Also they have mv to I converters in order to use rogowski (rope style) CT’s.

The easiest way might be to divorce the meter from the main with new equipment.

Back