diy solar

diy solar

sump pump

Patrick3224

my basement sump pump runs almost non stop so I want to convert it to solar.... I would also like to run some 2000w LED lights off of the same solar. What set up do I need?

Is it a standard 120VAC pump? If you are thinking that will be implemented to save money, that is NOT going to happen. Off-grid solar with a battery to make standard AC is the single most expensive way to make electricity.

Even if you rigged up a cheaper DC only system that runs only in the daylight, a potential problem you'll face is that in rainy weather when the pump needs to run most, the pump will be running it's slowest, if at all.

If you have the funds and the opportunity to convert it to solar, then go ahead. I personally can’t do so, and that is why I use a sump pump. I used to have a really bad sump pump that complicated everything in my life. At one point, I couldn’t handle it anymore and decided to change it as fast as possible. I asked my friend, who is a plumber, for a piece of advice since I did not know which sump pump to get, and he said that I should get a Zoeller sump pump. He sent me a website https://www.sumppumpadvisor.com/best-zoeller-sump-pump-reviews/that had a list of the best Zoeller sump pumps. I picked the best one, and ever since then, my life has become way better.

Last edited:
First you need to post the make/model of the sump pump. If you can use your clamp-on ammeter to get the running wattage will also help.
Then you need a battery to provide 18 hours of run time and likewise solar that can produce that power each day.

LOG ME IN GUYS, same goal was going to post thread saw this. SO we need sump pumps
Whats best?
1 battery to inverter to ac pump
2 battery to dc pump
3 battery to custom wound dc pump in ac frame (might know a guy) what sucks less no pun intended ouch

Mine is a driveway pump running on utility power.

Have a back up battery, inverter, spare portable pump, 150' x 1.5" coiled fire hose for times of difficulty. Deployed manually as needed.

I like the sealed switch over the aftermarket options to cut the cord etc seems to create one more fail point. Every system has unique limitations. Besides my pit is probably a bit shallow anyway to extend water levels vertically.

So my choice is (3) battery to inverter. Possibly to wire it in with a transfer switch so that the pump keeps running until both fail.

Back