diy solar

diy solar

Sunny Island-Lithium batteries

cowgerbs

I have two grid tied sunny boy 5000s on 10.2kwh of panels. I am looking to set this up with two sunny islands and tie in with lithium batteries. I have looked at the EG4-LL batteries and see that they do not support closed loop communication. Does anyone have a recomendation for lithium batteries that will support closed loop communication with the sunny islands or a good recomendation of the best way to setup the EG4-LL batteries?

I assume this is Sunny Island 6048US or similar? European models differ.

Some people here have used no communications with VRLA settings.
After reviewing max/min settings, you might find something like 46V nominal (as if 23, 2V cells) rather than 48V nominal lets all settings be as desired.

REC has a model of BMS which will talk to SI. That is what I plan to use if I go to lithium.

Of course there are also batteries on SMA's approved list. Be sure to select table for your model Sunny Island.

@HighTechLab was working on testing the batteries he sells with SI.

Thanks for the feedback. With the REC setup what batteries do you think you would go with? Or any other rack mounted Lithium that would work closed loop with the Sunny Island 6048US?

Last edited:
I've been watching here as people build batteries out of LiFePO4 cells, 280 Ah seemed to be most common recently.
Lots of problems with various tapped terminals and welded studs. Some welded terminals seemed more robust.
I might go that route for a stationary battery.

Server rack batteries are getting close in price. About twice the cost per kWh capacity but twice the claimed cycle life, so similar per kWh cycle life.

The other people here who have built and used batteries are in a better position to recommend cells or batteries.

The SMA seems to support the Pylontech protocol (based on the list of approved batteries), so any BMS that supports it should do the job.

I plan to use the Seplos BMS for that. It states that the SMA is supported and that it supports the Pylontech protocol.

Server rack batteries are getting close in price. About twice the cost per kWh capacity but twice the claimed cycle life, so similar per kWh cycle life.
They use the same LiFePo4 cells we use for the DIY batteries. I have serious doubts that the cheap server rack batteries are using "grade A" cells and I would expect that a properly built DIY battery would outlast a server rack battery.

I have 6 sets of 280 to 302 ah lithium.
Rec bms in each set.
With a little tweaking on the programming, it has been flawless.

The Rec bms controls the charging function for the sunny islands. Frequency shift controls the sunny boys.

Yes the rec is a bit pricey. But in a $40k system , why risk anything. If you do go REC , make sure to get the precharge modules. It will save your contactors

I assume this is Sunny Island 6048US or similar? European models differ.

Some people here have used no communications with VRLA settings.
After reviewing max/min settings, you might find something like 46V nominal (as if 23, 2V cells) rather than 48V nominal lets all settings be as desired.

REC has a model of BMS which will talk to SI. That is what I plan to use if I go to lithium.

Of course there are also batteries on SMA's approved list. Be sure to select table for your model Sunny Island.

@HighTechLab was working on testing the batteries he sells with SI.
I have 2 Sunny Island 60/48 and found Fortress Power have Batteries that they say work in closed loop with SMA
I have a Big Battery Kong Elite 17 kwh that does not have closed loop capability and does not work very well as SOC is all over the map.
Will have to sell the Kong and get the fortress i think. After i get the omunication issue working between the Sunny Boy and Sunny Island

I use two Sunny Islands with a REC BMS and a homemade battery bank.

It really doesn't matter what lithium battery chemistry or cells you use if you're using a REC BMS because it is configurable. Our system uses frequency shifting and the REC controls all charging functions.

Attachments

• DSC02598.jpg
    DSC02598.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Post3.jpg
    Post3.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 13
The SMA seems to support the Pylontech protocol (based on the list of approved batteries), so any BMS that supports it should do the job.

I plan to use the Seplos BMS for that. It states that the SMA is supported and that it supports the Pylontech protocol.

They use the same LiFePo4 cells we use for the DIY batteries. I have serious doubts that the cheap server rack batteries are using "grade A" cells and I would expect that a properly built DIY battery would outlast a server rack battery.
Apparently Trophy Battery work with SMA Sunny Islands in a closed loop, those are the ones i will go with just waiting for some documentation from Trophy to confirm this

DIY batteries with Seplos BMS also work in a closed loop with the Sunny Island 4.4M-13 I have. I've been using it in the last 1 month with no issues.

Two minor details should be considered - correct protocol should be set to the BMS (SMA-PYL IIRC) and the connection cable between these two is a non-standard one (due to the SMA inverter having odd pins for the CAN-L and CAN-H).

DIY batteries with Seplos BMS also work in a closed loop with the Sunny Island 4.4M-13 I have. I've been using it in the last 1 month with no issues.

Two minor details should be considered - correct protocol should be set to the BMS (SMA-PYL IIRC) and the connection cable between these two is a non-standard one (due to the SMA inverter having odd pins for the CAN-L and CAN-H).
I have 2 60/48 and the approved batteries are different on the SMA website, I thought with SMA it would be esier as they are all from one company, but the SMA protocole seem to be a Pain in the A@#.

Back