diy solar

diy solar

supposed voltage drop causing heater cutoff

jaytee

Sorry in advance for being a newb but need help. I have Battleborn GC3 battery. I have an Alde 3010 glycol propane heater. The heater uses 12v for pumping the heated glycol throughout the rv to keep it warm but the heat comes from propane. When I'm boondocking, the heater is having issues with voltage drop (supposedly) which causes the heater to cut off. It is intermittent and could happen within 30 minutes or could happen numerous hours later.

I heard the battleborne bms drops the voltage and that might be the cause? Is there a device that I can use to stabilize the low voltage drops so that the heater won't cut off?

If you're heating with propane, then the draw on your 12V system will be for the circulation pump (I'll guess 5A or so) and shouldn't pull down the GC3 battery or have a voltage drop issue. When the heater quits do you loose the other 12V stuff (BMS cut out) or is it just the Alde that stopped?

A volt meter is your friend. I don't know if Alde has a low voltage cutout but would assume that it runs on FLA batteries with lower voltage than LiFePO4 chemistry. How is the GC3 being charged and is it getting fully charged?

Back