diy solar

diy solar

Switching Grid-tied Solaredge setup to a Hybrid Inverter, beginning research/questions.

y0bailey

Solar Enthusiast
Good afternoon! Some dumb questions incoming as I'm early in my research.

OVERALL GOAL: Maintain grid tie but also install a battery backup to power some of my house during power outages. Seems like swapping to a hybrid inverter is the solution to this. This doesn't have to be seamless...I can manually switch to battery power if it makes it easier/cheaper.

CURRENT SETUP:
Solar edge HD wave inverter 10kw, grid tied with net metering active

PXL_20230802_164534133.jpg
28 Mission 295w panels (see picture) w/ solar edge optimizers. A string of 16 on the roof, and a string of 12 on ground mount. So two separate strings coming into the inverter, not balanced in wattage
PXL_20230802_165507648.jpg

These splice into my one of my two 200A breaker boxes located next to the main power run/meter.

200a.jpgPXL_20230802_165126507.jpg

PLAN:
1) Buying an EG4 18KPV hybrid inverter
2) Swapping the EG4 in for the SolarEdge
3) Eventually adding somewhere around 20kWH of batteries...probably the EG4 lithium setup.

QUESTIONS/CONFUSED PARTS:
1) As far as simply swapping inverters and acting as only grid tie, is there anything I would need to "change" compared to the SolarEdge wiring/tapping into the 200A panel? I feel like the answer here is it will just work?
2) Once it's time to add batteries I get in over my head with wiring.
I think this is the wiring diagram I will need?
Untitled.png
This all seems very much "professional electrician" level, unless I'm way off base.

Is there an easier/more DIY way to do this battery part while maintaining net metering/grid tie? I have already moved all of my "crucial loads" to the basement 200A load breaker panel, which is fed from the 200A breaker the previously solar install tapped into to grid tie.

Thanks for your time. The more time I spent typing this the less optimistic I became about this being a DIY project for me...but maybe I've just gone down the wrong approach completely.

The SolarEdge optimizers probably will not connect and output to the eg4-18kpv. The optimizers probably would need to be replaced with others like a Tigo or You could keep the SolarEdge and connect to the eg4 in the a/c coupled scenario. This is currently the situation for me.

Attachments

• eg4 AC Coupling.jpg
    eg4 AC Coupling.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 12
I suggest researching putting the eg4 between the meter and the solaredge. AC connected PV to the eg4. On grid down, the eg4 can maintain the grid wave form to keep the solaredge producing. You may need batteries to give a dump load to the eg4. Look into moving the main panel to the load connection of the eg4.

If not an eg4, the sol-ark may work.

Thanks for the response guys...I am AC coupling and my eg4 and battery just shipped.

I've got a relatively easy install now that I've done more research. I'll update it when it's finished!

Back