diy solar

diy solar

System advice: Delta Pro + Smart Home Panel + Solar Panels

plympton

Solar Enthusiast
Haven't seen a definitive answer to this, so I'm double checking with the hive mind:
I'm considering getting a Delta Pro + SHP + a few solar panels. It's mainly for critical loads backup, but the solar would hopefully "pay" for the inverter drain, run my fridge, etc. It's also to get my hands around gear before going Full Monty.

Delta Pro solar charger can do 150v/1600w/15a. Check.

I can get these panels locally (400w solar panels). The are rated at 36.87v (VOC) x 4 would be 147.48v, which is less than 150v. Whew, I'm safe.

Then I read this page: https://www.linspyre.com/ecoholics/temps.html

Am I going to release the smoke from my Delta Pro? It will be installed inside, in a relatively warm room, likely around 70 deg F most of the time.

-Dan

Haven't seen a definitive answer to this, so I'm double checking with the hive mind:
I'm considering getting a Delta Pro + SHP + a few solar panels. It's mainly for critical loads backup, but the solar would hopefully "pay" for the inverter drain, run my fridge, etc. It's also to get my hands around gear before going Full Monty.

Delta Pro solar charger can do 150v/1600w/15a. Check.

I can get these panels locally (400w solar panels). The are rated at 36.87v (VOC) x 4 would be 147.48v, which is less than 150v. Whew, I'm safe.

Then I read this page: https://www.linspyre.com/ecoholics/temps.html

Am I going to release the smoke from my Delta Pro? It will be installed inside, in a relatively warm room, likely around 70 deg F most of the time.

-Dan
It's the temperature of the solar panels. (Assuming they will be outside)
Not the solar charge controller.

I just saw their video on this, I am going to wait for Will Prowse to review it.
I'm sure it'll be a better system all around - 2.0 versions always are. I think that the existing stuff will get me a system that will be good enough for my needs (peace of mind battery backup for critical circuits, and some solar to "pay" for the idle energy it's using).

It's the temperature of the solar panels. (Assuming they will be outside)
Not the solar charge controller.

Thanks for confirming - that's what I was assuming, but the article made it seem like it was the temp of the Delta Pro.

What's "safe" for VOC? From what I've read, others have tested the Delta Pro and it will turn off if voltage goes marginally over 150v (I've read tests over 180v)

Here's Portland's temp/rain graph. Are we just trying to avoid the "perfect storm" of low temps and full-sun? The likelihood that I get that in PDX is pretty darn low, but I wouldn't risk it either way.

1699030619677.png

Basically, I have room for at 4 panels in the section of roof I want to run this system on. I think I'll get 4 panels and run some experiments - in the end running them as just 3-series, or 2s2p.

There's a formula, based on what the lowest record temperature was in your area.
But, I generally just go with 85% of VOC rating.

Back