diy solar

diy solar

System just went crazy

SolarScott

Solar Enthusiast
Three EG4 6000's have been running for a while now with only flicker problem. A few minutes ago all power to house went off. Went to battery room and the inverters were in the process of restarting. Checked my settings and they were all over the place. Voltage had reset to 110 instead of 120. Hz reset to 50 instead of 60 battery type changed to flooded instead of USE. AC input was not shown to be connected. Display screens go to what looks like off position and you have to hit one of the arrow buttons to turn them on. Host and slave were switching back and forth multiple times while I was investigating. Perplexing as hell. Not sure what is going on here. Anyone else have this happen? I believe I have been up and running since late December with only flicker to worry about.

Are you able to regain the system? If not you probably are looking at a faulty/failed component that will require Warranty service. Hope that is not the case and a complete power down and re-enter of all your settings gets you going again.

Are you able to regain the system? If not you probably are looking at a faulty/failed component that will require Warranty service. Hope that is not the case and a complete power down and re-enter of all your settings gets you going again.
System restarted itself.....problem was the erratic settings......50 hz can't be good for appliances I don't think. Flood settings on Lifepower 4 would probably not be good either. Thank goodness I was at home when it happened. I reset all the settings and everything seems to be good except for the AC in indicator. It goes from steady indication to flashing indication....not sure what that means. For now I am running without AC in...plenty of sun so don't need it. Tonight may be the real test. Not confidence inspiring.

Your symptoms makes me wonder if you had a grid event like a surge or brownout. Any storms in your area just before the problem happened?

Your symptoms makes me wonder if you had a grid event like a surge or brownout. Any storms in your area just before the problem happened?
No, perfect day. No wind, rain, storms etc. Restarted itself but with all the parameters totally wrong, especially the 50 Hz part. Default is set to 60 Hz. Odd thing, this was my highest KW day. 45 KW previous, today 52 KW. But my batteries have never seemed right. It seemed like I should be able to go longer at night but at my switch back to grid at 51 volts I never went passed a few hours after dark. 6 Lifepower4 batteries. So, today while trying to figure out what was going on....I decided to turn off the four older batteries and try charging my two newest batteries a little higher. Turned the settings up on Bulk and float charged them while still having plenty of PV to run house loads. Now tonight I have yet to switch back to grid. Batteries are still above 52 volts and showing 3/4 full. I think my two newest batteries were dragging down the entire set. Hopefully at 51 I still have grid pass through and wont shut off again. (My heat pump still runs of grid power, it never hickuped while this event happened)

Back