diy solar

diy solar

system renewal/ upgrade potential?

nowwattsup

I purchased this home with a solar system. At that time i hooked up to the grid. Primarily using this system when the power goes out. Initially the system was left without maintenance, battery's were mostly dry i filled them and the system has worked fine for the limited amount i use it. Recently the system no longer will work more than a short time and the alarm goes off and beeps. I plug the inverter into the power and it charges but still only works a short time. Typically the charge/ load controller shows from 1 to 5 amps . I,m wanting to keep the system not spend 10s of thousands on a new system. How do i know what way to go ? do i need new panels? or just replace the battery bank . Their are 8 trojan battery's. Can i upgrade to fewer better battery's? . My intended use is to run lights internet tv perecent 207.JPGrecent 208.JPGllet stove, not anything major i use my generator for that when the power goes out. When i call solar company's they just want to sell me a new system. Any advice will be appreciated. I have attached pictures of the system, their are 3 panels all connected on the roof. Thanks

When lead acid goes dry, they get damaged.

Please list type and quantity of batteries.

Pictures help too.
Thank you, i was surprisedIMG_1870.JPG they kept working as much as they did, the way these are set up i,m wondering if i can replace the 8 battery bank with fewer new batters and get what i need from the system?.

I can't tell the model, but those appear to be 6V batteries wired in series for 24V with the main positive at the upper left and the main negative at the lower right.

Part of good maintenance is keeping the tops clean. Their condition is suggestive of poor maintenance.

There have been no significant advances in lead-acid tech that would allow you to replace with smaller batteries that didn't result in a loss of capacity. If each of those batteries weigh 100#, and you replaced them with smaller ones that weigh 75#, you'd have about 75% of the prior rated capacity.

If this system is used exclusively for backup, AGM batteries are maintenance free and are likely a better choice than flooded lead acid (FLA).

I know that product. In my build thread I discuss my replacing the trace equipment. that is a Trace DR2500 120v 2.5kw inverter, while I had a Trace SW4024 4kw

if you just want to fix it, then replace the batteries with AGMs and see if the system will still work at 24v
if it does, then you are back in action.
if is does not, then get the EG4 3000W and more AGMs and wire for 48v
but AGMs still will live only 5-7 years and will need replacing

OR

if you want the same capacity with new tech, I would do the EG4 3000W

and get a 48v 5.2kwh battery

that would get you near to what you have now, 120v system

those lead acid batteries are toast, they have a life of 5-7 years.
get the lead fee from a recycling place NOT an auto store for a core charge (less than lead price)

Last edited:
I know that product. In my build thread I discuss my replacing the trace equipment. that is a Trace DR2500 120v 2.5kw inverter, while I had a Trace SW4024 4kw

if you just want to fix it, then replace the batteries with AGMs and see if the system will still work at 24v
if it does, then you are back in action.
if is does not, then get the EG4 3000W and more AGMs and wire for 48v
but AGMs still will live only 5-7 years and will need replacing

OR

if you want the same capacity with new tech, I would do the EG4 3000W

and get a 48v 5.2kwh battery

that would get you near to what you have now, 120v system

those lead acid batteries are toast, they have a life of 5-7 years.
get the lead fee from a recycling place NOT an auto store for a core charge (less than lead price)
i decided to get agm battery, my system has 8, 6 volt battery and market as 48 volts, so i got 4. 12 volt agm baterys so 48 volts ? change the setting to agm hook the new batterys in series, should be good to go? thanks for all you help.

i decided to get agm battery, my system has 8, 6 volt battery and market as 48 volts, so i got 4. 12 volt agm baterys so 48 volts ? change the setting to agm hook the new batterys in series, should be good to go? thanks for all you help.

It's important to confirm that the AGM setting is appropriate for your batteries. AGM do not last as long as WELL MAINTAINED FLA, but they still need to be treated properly, i.e., charged and floated according to their specifications.

Additionally, when at peak voltage, you need to confirm that all 12V measure very near each other - definitely within 0.1V or less AND that no 12V is OVER it's maximum allowed absorption current.

AGM tend to ship nearly fully charged, but the last thing you want is to have your 12V batteries out of balance and damage them.

Back