diy solar

diy solar

Tel 12-170FGa AGM batteries

nycamper62

Got a screamin deal on 4 of these AGM's. I have them in series for a 12 volt bank. The bat box is vented from inside the camper/rv, as I used to run 6v GC2's. Well I have two questions about these batteries I'd like some help & opinions with as these are my first AGM's on the system.
First, I have a new Renogy mppt 40 amp controller and I'm thinking I may need to adjust the settings as I've read stock mppt controllers are aggressive on certain AGM's. Now while the controller has a temp probe hooked up it can get cold at camp, and I'm not there all the while with the heat on through winter.

Attachments

• 20230803_151746.jpg
    20230803_151746.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 10
4 of these AGM's. I have them in series for a 12 volt bank
They seem to be 12v batteries, and the picture shows a series connection, this does not agree with 'for a 12 volt bank'.

Data from,

Use the default 'sealed' setting in the Renogy controller.

The ideal charge current for a single battery would be around 35 amps.

Last edited:
The first pic was taken at the shop where I got them for information on the front sticker.
Here is a pic of my bank. They are in parallel.
Thank you for the data link. (y)

Attachments

• 20230812_155153.jpg
    20230812_155153.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 8
The first pic was taken at the shop where I got them for information on the front sticker.
Here is a pic of my bank. They are in parallel.
Thank you for the data link. (y)

Awesome batteries, should give you years of loyal service

2kwh capacity per battery, 10.5v low volt cut off

Stay within manufacturer rated float/bulk charge voltages.

listen for bubbling under bulk charge, if it bubbles bad turn the voltage down until bubbling subsides .... Bubbling means they're losing electrolytes (gasing out the vents), fine on flooded lead acid, no good for sealed as you can't replace it, once it's gone it's gone

Last edited:
Look like pretty awesome batteries!

No mention of temp compensation coefficient, i go with a -4mv/°c/cell for AGMs unless it's stated otherwise.

The data for charge, 'boost' voltage was accessed from the link I posted.

Charge voltage is one aspect of charging AGM, charge current is another. Where the batteries are cycled unless you can regularly charge at 0.2C there is a risk of reduced service life.

The data for charge, 'boost' voltage was accessed from the link I posted.

Charge voltage is one aspect of charging AGM, charge current is another. Where the batteries are cycled unless you can regularly charge at 0.2C there is a risk of reduced service life.

Now isnt that a minimum of 0.2c ?

My first system was 8 of those in a 2x4 24 volt arrangement. They are designed for standby use, not deep discharge cycles. You can cycle them, but don’t undercharge between cycles, they will sulfate. Mine were 180 ah but I think they’re the same battery with different specifications.

88E0F712-A7D4-410B-BE73-737AFE1D1D7D.jpeg88E0F712-A7D4-410B-BE73-737AFE1D1D7D.jpeg

Back