diy solar

diy solar

Pop up camper, expanding existing deep cycle battery with additional AGM batteries?

I mean, sort of. I'm going to be using this as a cabin, and I don't have shore power, so it'll be solar only. NBD in the summer but in winter it will need as much energy storage as I can get, and since I am going to have 2 AGM batteries without a home, it makes sense to try to integrate them and put them to use.

I mean, sort of. I'm going to be using this as a cabin, and I don't have shore power, so it'll be solar only. NBD in the summer but in winter it will need as much energy storage as I can get, and since I am going to have 2 AGM batteries without a home, it makes sense to try to integrate them and put them to use.
If you're going to be using this as a cabin then you can pretty easily set things up to be able to fire up a small generator if needed in winter and throw a beefier battery charger on them. I agree with the other folks that before you really pursue using those AGM's you do some sort of capacity test, even if just a redneck one with a stopwatch and a light bulb to see if they're 90% good or 9% good. If they can't hold a decent charge anymore then it's just not worth the hassle.

The AGMs definitely work, they are what I am using in my skoolie. They've been great!

Back