diy solar

diy solar

Tell me if everything looks normal

erickbotic

This is my dads set up... hes running a 3000w inverter 24v, 2 batteries 200 amp each gel batteries and EPEVER 60A Controller.
He tells me at night hes normal fridge drains his batteries... he recently replaced the old batteries thinking they were bad as they didnt hold any charge at night and now the new ones are doing the same... this video im attaching are the numbers showing at 9:30 pm with a small fridge connected

The highest voltage in the clip was 25.4V. This is probably less that 50% charged. How high are the batteries being charged each day?
How big is the array and what are charge parameters?

A 3000W inverter can have a significant draw on its own. Which inverter?
What is the wattage of the refrigerator? Can you post a link to the make/model?
What batteries? Off hand i would hand on to the old ones and consider building a bigger battery bank with all of them.

Can you post a pic of battery wiring? Wired properly in a balanced manner?

The batteries fully charged go to 27.5 volts... at night it goes down.
The batteries are Gel batteries... ill try to get details of all the other stuff

What is a "normal fridge"

Propane fridge needs to be set to propane only or the electric heater will pull about 300 watts near continuous.

Compressor fridge will use far less electric and I will defer to the batteries are not fully charged.

Or something else is running. Electric water heat? Could cycle on silently at night.

Looks normal to me. What most people don't realise is that this MPPT, if it had pants, it would die in a fire of its own making (liar, liar, pants on fire).

THIS GRAPHIC:

1684815356723.png

Is a complete and total lie of epic proportions. It causes so many questions and concern. It is not the only controller that lies, but that doesn't make it okay.

This is purely voltage-based on a completely nonsensical algorithm. it should be ignored. Better yet, just sharpie over it or put a square of black electrical tape over it.

The only thing that can give you an accurate % reading on a battery is a battery monitor that KNOWS the size of the battery and COUNTS the current in and out of the battery via a shunt or hall effect sensor. Victron smartshunt is my fave.

Two gel batteries sitting at 25.4V are at a high state of charge. If these are two 12V in series, it is critically important that when the 24V system reaches peak, both 12V batteries are nearly the same voltage AND at or below their absorption voltage.

What is the battery voltage in the morning just before the PV starts to deliver current?

GEL/AGM batteries should not discharge to more than 55% of full.
It will kill the batteries to do that multiple times.
Tell him to change to LifePO4 batteries which can stand a normal day going from 100 to 15% without taking damage.

24v, 2 batteries 200 amp each gel batteries

24v X 200 amp = 4800w

50% usable capacity gives your dad a battery power of 2400w

2.4kw should be plenty to run a single fridge over night given they are actually full to begin with, and if the inverter isn't using up all the powers As said in other posts....

Depending on the inverter make/model, it could be burning through all that 2.4kw battery capacity running itself, let alone the fridge.

I've got a big inverter that uses 3.5kw a day JUST being turned on, with or without loads

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back