diy solar

diy solar

Tesla “Spare Battery”

Richkebo

What does it take to be able to charge a Tesla with a spare battery “gas can”?
So, I am like 20 miles from any charger and my Tesla says I have 10 miles of charge left.
What do I need to bridge the gap?
I recall seeing one of Will’s video saying was able to charge his Tesla with a battery and got a few miles of charge. What would be needed, wires connectors, etc. to be able to do this?
Thnks in advance.

So, I am like 20 miles from any charger and my Tesla says I have 10 miles of charge left.
Reduce your consumption per mile by driving slow, avoiding stop and go because acceleration is never fully recovered by regeneration. There is a handy graph on one of the screens that you can use. It is not recommended but you can take a Tesla beyond zero. I have done it.

I recall seeing one of Will’s video saying was able to charge his Tesla with a battery and got a few miles of charge. What would be needed, wires connectors, etc. to be able to do this?
I tried this 7 years ago with a Toyota RAV4 EV that had a Tesla drive train. It was hard to get the charging station to work with the output of the inverter. In my opinion it is not worth it especially where I live in California with all the available charging options.

I think this is more of a hypothetical question, rather literally how do I eek out 10 miles.

A genset is obviously one answer, though not a particularly 'green' answer. To do this with PV you have three challenges to overcome:
  1. EVs require a lot of power, PV panels don't provide a lot ... long time to re-charge.
  2. EV power packs require a high voltage, it's in unlikely you'd ever be able to fit enough PV panels in the Tesla!
  3. The EV powerpack is behind a charger and plug, which will require some form of negotiation e.g. CAN-bus
But if it was sunny, and you had plenty of time on your hands, and you could boost-convert the voltage and used a 'proper' connector ... I dare say it would be possible!

There are two primary standards for the connector interface, I forget their names now, and I dare say such products already exist.

There are two primary standards for the connector interface,
CCS in UK and Europe and in the USA Tesla has their own proprietary interface but it follows the J1772 protocol. A third one from Japan is Chademo. Is that what you were referring to?

What does it take to be able to charge a Tesla with a spare battery “gas can”?

Its my understanding that tesla charge off 110v at like 3miles per hr. So if you want to make 10 miles of range be prepared to sit on the side of the road with your genset running for like 3 hours.

Its also my understanding that the range on the display is conservative. Meaning the instant the car hits 0 miles, it doesnt just roll to a stop.

Got a buddy with a truck? Being towed at full regen at low speed gets you around 5-8% charge per mile depending on batt size and dual vs single motor.

Being towed at full regen at low speed gets you around 5-8% charge per mile depending on batt size and dual vs single motor.
That would be faster than a Supercharger if i understand your percentage to mean percentage of capacity? Are you saying that 20 miles or less will get you almost full? I understand toward the end that the rate will taper.

Last edited:
That would be faster than a Supercharger if i understand your percentage to mean percentage of capacity? Are you saying that 20 miles or less will get you almost full? I understand toward the end that the rate will taper.

Guess it depends on what part of supercharging? At 85% state of charge the rate is far less than the 50kW you'd get at the same 85% SOC from regen.
From what I recall when you towed the Tesla 1 mile or a little over, you were able to get about 5 miles out of the Tesla, so 5% should have been 5 miles.

The point is the OP has the option of being towed a few miles by another vehicle to accomplish his goal of not being stranded.

Last edited:
Back