diy solar

diy solar

Tesla Solar Inverter?

Actually even after taking off the https and using http my antivirus popped up warning the site has a bad reputation for hacks.

It's the principle for me...

Tesla is NOT DIY friendly.

I think there are plenty of better-priced more DIY friendly GT inverters out there.

Nearly impossible to find detailed specs:

Found this link on it to use in place of the first one listed I guess.

If you sign up for a quote on EnergySage, at least in my area, you will be offered lots of Enphase or Tesla inverters and powerwalls. I would honestly rather go with Enphase if those are my choices.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of AC coupled systems. I prefer DC coupled inverters. Tesla is AC Coupled, and so is the Enphase system I looked at.

Their latest powerwall 3 is DC coupled I believe.
You’re correct. It is dc coupled. If this allows user strategies, it’d be good.

I wonder how many settings the power wall 3 lets you have.

I wonder if it charges off MPPTs or still has a grid tied inverter turning all panels into AC.

I might be wrong but I don't think you can DIY Tesla powerwall/inverters you need to add an approved contractor uid when commissioning using the Tesla app atleast that's the case with powerwalls I've seen installed.

Sorry, it wasn't about diy. Having panels added, and I don't want to climb 2 stories to the roof. New utility requirement that pv has to go through a production meter, and contractor suggested the tesla inverter (they are a tesla dealer, along with any other inverter they can buy).

I'm thinking of asking for the new growatt 10k. A little more expensive, but a little more diy friendly if I have to work on it in 10 years.

Tesla is likely to be the lowest cost major residential solar vendor options but keep in mind that Tesla Energy is the former SolarCity and is known for poor customer support. Best to check out the Tesla forums.

Tesla is likely to be the lowest cost major residential solar vendor options but keep in mind that Tesla Energy is the former SolarCity and is known for poor customer support. Best to check out the Tesla forums.
Solar City installed my NEM1 solar and was one of the very best contractors I have worked with. Closest to white glove service I have ever seen.
Like most forums I believe the silent majority of happy customers do not post comments or reviews.

diy solar

diy solar
Back