diy solar

diy solar

Testing Panels Facing SW @ 240°

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Does anyone know a site or calculator that I can use to figure out optimal fixed tilt at different azimuth directions? Trying to get some additional power from some SW facing panels. Tested today with 2 - 400w REC panels and got about 2kWh hours out of them. Forgot batteries were full so didn’t produce what it could have so going to retest tomorrow. In North Carolina at 35°.

Attachments

• IMG_3360.jpeg
    IMG_3360.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3357.jpeg
    IMG_3357.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 11
Disregard. Ran some scenarios in PVWatts. Looks like 20° will get me the best output for a year.

That's where I was going to suggest, pvwatts, also suncalc. Org will help with predicting shadows in the winter.

I was surprised. Not a ton more but definitely some.
You're right. It doesn't face directly west so 20 is better than zero. Iny location 17 or 18 produced the highest annual output

You're right. It doesn't face directly west so 20 is better than zero. Iny location 17 or 18 produced the highest annual output
I tried various degrees today. This pic is about 5° @240 which really seems to be the best from 11am-4pm. After 4 you can see how the higher angle will benefit until the house shadow hits about 5:30. Still testing and figuring things out.

Attachments

• IMG_3378.jpeg
    IMG_3378.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 1
Back