diy solar

diy solar

Thanks to this Forum!

Swamplizard

Ready to unplug and wander the USA
Embarked on a project during Covid to convert a Promaster Van and have it be all electric - no propane, no gas generators, and as simple as possible. Having zero solar or LIFEPO4 experience I relied heavily on this forum to design, build, and implement a 24V system to drive a roof A/C (in Florida so not an option), hot water heater, water pump, cooking plates, microwave, and an electric bed that goes up and down. With YOUR help, everything works!

Building the 280AH LifePO4 was really interesting and I have since built a second one for more Off Grid capability should I need it and a few smaller 12V battery packs for my boats "house" batteries. Great stuff!

Solar is limited to four flexible 100watt panels due to roof real-estate but tops things off with time. A 12/24v magic box takes alternator power and charges the 24V bank when truck's engine is running. When at a camp site I can also plug it in and it runs everything and charge batteries at 40Amps (can go 60 but I have it limited since camp site power typically sucks).

This site has been an amazing resource and I thought I would just say "Thanks"! Really appreciate you teaching an old dog some cool new skills!

Back