diy solar

diy solar

Not sure where to ask this…

Clembot

Hi everyone,

It’s my first post here. I was recommended this forum by a friend in the hope to get some help for our upcoming off grid setup.
I am currently building a house in remote rural area in NSW Australia. There is no access to the grid but plenty of sun and we have a nice exposure for the Pv so we’re expecting a good yield all year round. ( 31° south for the nerds )

Now I am fairly new to the solar system and I understand the basics. I have successfully setup very basic 12v systems for cars, caravan, our mud kitchen… mainly with lead acid / AGM batteries. I am also familiar with basic household AC wiring, and I would be comfortable wiring a power board, wiring up a house myself having done a fair few jobs around my workshop and houses in the past…

The reason of my asking for advice on this forum is because I need some help figuring a good setup for our house which will be a much bigger system and as I understand it, mistakes can get not just costly but also dangerous especially with a lot of bigger panels, lithium batteries etc... I won’t be able to get a sparky in as it’s too far and probably to unconventionally designed for someone accredited to take on the job. So I want to know some opinions of what could be the best way to go about with our budget and what we already have bought over the last year.
So roughly a year ago, whilst we were still working on the very basic foundation of our house ( I do everything my self so it’s going rather slowly 😬) one of our neighbours has come forward and offered us to buy an integrated battery system from the company BYD namely a Mini ES with the optional additional base (3.5kw + 3kw of lithium running at 48V ) At the time I had done very little research on the subject and for the price he offered it it was hard to say no. It came from a retired electrician who was shutting down and selling on a few left over. The unit is brand new in its box. He bought 2 units so one came to him one to us.
After a little bit of reading and research it turns out this particular system is primarily designed to be used on the grid, with a PV inverter to plug into the box in AC and that the offgrid capacity of the built in DC/AC inverter for this unit was greatly reduced once off grid and the program would basically make it work as an emergency mode and therefore not an ideal solution for continuous running - barely 2Kw instead of 3.3kw of its standard capacity.

We were sort of relying on the fact that the neighbour was going to get the system running before we’d be ready to plug in ours and we’d just copy his setup, but obviously things have changed, I won’t go in all details but one of his electrician mate came around and tried to make it work and it went to a standstill - not entirely sure how competent that person is to be honest so I wouldn’t hold my breath - and he ended up buying another system as he came across another good deal for a newer system. He decided to just give us his box as it was easier than taking it out then deal with it. At this point I am not too far from starting building a stand alone roof structure for the solar panels ( I want enough room for 30 panels ( 2m by 1 panels ) but obviously I don’t want to start installing panels until I have figured out a design for the battery / controller / inverter and get everything. The batteries, controllers and inverter would be in a separate - purpose build shed near / underneath the solar roof. The house is approximately 25 metres away from the shed/ roof.

After talking to a few friends about it, we decided to first find out if the batteries were still good as they’re pretty old now. And after taking it apart, they do read 26.3v so they’re still charged. We’re going to run a vicron solar controller with one panel and have a device that puts a load on the battery and see what the app tells us after a few days. At this point I have no idea about the condition of the battery. I don’t even know if they will function with a different controller than the BYD. So I’ll keep you updated when I found out by the end of next week.

We also bought 10 solar panels 450w and i have another 20 @ 450w on the way.

We have a pretty simple idea. Since we live completely off grid, we produce our own food we would like to run a cool room / cellar as well as our house. For the cool room / cellar, it would take a couple of 3kw air conditioning unit with a coolbot in a refrigerated truck body that will be double walled for optimal insulation and minimum temperature variation. That would not be running non stop but only throughout the day whilst the sun is out. We would also like being able to run in the house a large fridge, a freezer, a computer, some lights, an oven. No microwave, no toaster, no kettle.

Our budget is tight but since we have already got 13Kw worth of lithium batteries and almost 13.5kw worth of panels. I’d like to know what would be the best setup for 2 separate systems: 1 for the house and 1 for the cellar.
I will add some more photos of the batteries when I get to it. This was just a quick one.

Happy to hear any good advice! Thanks 😊
D6102602-84E8-45B9-B0B9-240E51EF6B31.jpeg

Hello Clem, I have a niece living next to you in Adelaide, and I love that part of Australia, it sounds like your location is just a pretty as her's.

You however are making the classic newbie mistakes of buying stuff before you have a firm understanding of what you want to accomplish, and what you need. Please stop immediately.

First thing you should be doing is drawing up a plan for how many watthours you'll need in a day. Make an itemized list of everything you want to power. As for what you've already listed, I'd say the freezer, the large fridge, the oven are your bigger consumers, in the order given, with the oven most likely the largest. What about a well-pump? I'll suggest with loads like these, you're likely to be consuming ~10kWh of power a day, without air-conditioning. With air-conditioning, double that right away.

No microwave I think is a mistake. It is a big consumer of power, but your oven will likely be a far larger consumer, depending on it's size. In terms of food storage, I wonder if a traditional heat pump will be more effective than multiple air-conditioners. Select the right components to accomplish the right jobs.

I think you'll find that it's going to be more cost-effective to build one large system, rather than several smaller ones. Don't worry much about a distance of 25m. At 230VAC transmission losses will be low. With high-voltage solar DC, I'm running 8A ~40m at 120VDC, with no measurable voltage drop. Definately go with a 48V system.

The first thing you can do is post the technical specifications of everything you've already purchased, and we can see what can be pieced together. Stop buying anything else until a complete plan has been formulated. These great deals are going to cost you a lot of money!

Hello Clem, I have a niece living next to you…
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Well first off, I just want to remind you that Australia is huge… it is as if I’d say I know someone who lives in Amsterdam and you are in Madrid you must have a lot in common… well
Not so much!
Our country, culture, seasons, weather would be very different. Granted we are both aussies but we have little in common as far as our environment goes!

Anyways, I want to let you know that even though It does look like I am getting into a bit of a sticky situation, I think it’s going to work out just fine. I probably have a much bigger tolerance in regards to power issues than most - we have been living without constant power for a few years now so I am
Not stressed !
Our situation is quite peculiar and we tend to be happy with whatever we have and make do with what we can.
As far as the microwave, there’s no one on this planet that will convince me that it is a smarter choice. I am a chef by trade, I refuse microwave on principle. I don’t cook or live with efficiency in mind, I do it because I love it. So I actually use fire whenever I can, or gas…

Now back to the problem at hand, let’s focus on the house for now. As far as the total amount of needed power, it’s pretty straight forward :
- fridge ( 600 w )
- oven ( 2000w ) only during daytime and on occasion as we mainly use wood fire oven or gas oven.
- slow cooker ( 350w ) will use during day time.
- washing machine ( 1400w ) not everyday
- dishwasher ( 1200w ) every second day
- kitchen aid ( 200w )
- computer ( 75w ) everyday
- ceiling fan ( 40 w ) everyday in summer
- charging devices ( 50w )
- Lights ( 200 w ) all of them will never be on at once!
- vaccum ( 2000w ) on occasion or with generator

Not sure of this but I assume the fridge works about 8hours a day every day so that’s 4.8kw/day
Washing machine is 1 h every second/third day for one hour so .8kw/day used
Dishwasher for one hour 1.2kw/ day
Kitchen aid is 200w per hour or so.
Computer, ceiling fan, charging device and lights are a combined 365wh

So on a big day I’d be using at the most 7kw? It sounds like a 13Kw system is good enough am I wrong?

Now, I have been testing the batteries with a Victron controller and a panel. they are taking the charge and delivering load without trouble do I think it safe to say that they can be reused and integrated into the architecture for this setup.
Question now is, what is the best voltage to run them with 48v, or 24v?

48V is definately the way to go. Take a hard look at Outback's Radian, especially the 8048. I think that would be perfect for your needs. If at some point in the future you decide to sink a water well, the 8048 should handle up to at least 1hp without blinking, maybe more.

With that, I'd say your 7kWh estimate jibes well with what I am seeing at my own place. I'm looking at ~4.0 to 4.5kWh per day with lights, TV, and a smaller standard refrigerator/freezer. On good days in December, that would be easy to make by 9:30 in the morning. It's the rainy day in June that you need to plan for. In December you'll be getting about 6sunhours(sh) per day with unobstructed sky. In June, maybe 3sh. On a rainy day in June, maybe just 0.5sh.

You could design your system in different ways, to best meet your own personal needs. You could design the battery bank with lots of extra capacity to let you coast through a couple of days of cloudy/rainy weather, or design your system to make enough power even in the rain. A third option is halfway in-between the two with generator backup to get you through a long rainy spell. The radian has built-in generator support, so you only need to wire a plug from the generator to the Radian to feed it power from the generator to charge your batteries. I'm sailing straight through rainy batches here with a 570Ah battery at 48V.

With 10 450W panels, that is likely to fullfill 95% of your needs. Wiring could be a bit iffy? Can you document the specifications of your panels? You might be able to wire two in series for 2S5P, or maybe nine of them in a 3S3P configuration with a regular 150V controller. Maybe 5S2P if you use a FlexMax 100A-300V controller. We will need the specifications of both the panels and whatever controller you intend to buy.

Take a look at this solar array frame I built out of schedule 40 pipe, and 3m steel unistruts. It can hold six large residential panels, so maybe six of your 450W panels. With 12 of your 450W panels, I'm pretty sure you will be able to power anything you want. They are on single-pole mounts sunk in 1m of concrete, so they can be rotated to face the sun from ~8am till ~4pm. Maybe earlier and later depending on how well separated they are, and you've selected spots with zero shading. If you have extra panels coming you might also want to consider virtual tracking with some array strings facing due East, and some due West, instead of everything facing north. At my own site, my primary South-facing arrays start getting deep shade after 5pm, so I have an array facing due West to catch late afternoon sun.

Attachments

• array frame snip.jpg
    array frame snip.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Array frame 5_point_zero.png
    Array frame 5_point_zero.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
So I got a bit more info:

As far as the batteries they’re 75ah and I have 8 of them so it makes sense to have 4 x 2 @ 48v

For the panels here Is the data behind them :

Pmax 415w

Vmp 32.00V

Voc 39.70V

Imp 12.97A

Isc 13.72A

System voltage 1500V

As far as the inverter/controller I am looking at getting a Growatt 5Kwh - they’re well priced and you can run multiple up to 6. They also have an integrated solar controller which if I am reading the data sheet correctly should be enough to handle at least 1 string of 10 panels.
1712572997754.png

Regarding the panels, I am just not certain if connecting them in parallèle or series… or a mix of both?

Thanks Michael you’ve been really helpful so far! I looked into the outback radian it does look nice but I couldn’t find a distributor in oz and seeing the price it got me squeezing a bit ( over 5-6k AUD ?). I can get the growatt at wholesale price thorough a mate…

Back