diy solar

diy solar

Where to buy panels

BobandSharon

Hi folks. We're preparing to order parts for our off grid system, which will consist of 2-Victron 5kw inverter/chargers, 4-48v lithium batteries (20kw probably SOK), 1-Victron RS450/100 charge controller and 8-10kw of panels.

As I've been reading about peoples' experiences ordering solar panels, it almost seems "normal" that some of the panels arrive broken! Almost like it's a given. Really?

Can someone tell me where a good place is to order panels that are likely to arrive intact? I'd really appreciate hearing some recommendations. We live in north Idaho, and I do have access to a commercial shipping dock if needed.

Thanks so much!
Bob

Greentech Renewables should have a location within few hours driving distance, go pick up yourself.

Good company with good customer service and warranty if you happen to need it

I would highly recommend buying panels locally. I would also STRONGLY recommend buying extra panels. These models go out of production often and you can't get matching specs, and if you are located in a remote location, you don't want stray bullet to put out a string.

Hi folks. We're preparing to order parts for our off grid system, which will consist of 2-Victron 5kw inverter/chargers, 4-48v lithium batteries (20kw probably SOK), 1-Victron RS450/100 charge controller and 8-10kw of panels.

As I've been reading about peoples' experiences ordering solar panels, it almost seems "normal" that some of the panels arrive broken! Almost like it's a given. Really?

Can someone tell me where a good place is to order panels that are likely to arrive intact? I'd really appreciate hearing some recommendations. We live in north Idaho, and I do have access to a commercial shipping dock if needed.

Thanks so much!
Bob
We currently have 27.5 kW installed with 5.1 more kW I’m still working on putting up. Of that about 33kW all but about 5.5kW came from Signature Solar the rest from a1 solar store at a time in 2022 when they had good prices. I had one shipment of panels from SS where one was shattered and two others scratched badly, they refunded those promptly. I’m no fan of signature solar, about the only thing I’d buy from them is panels or perhaps something I was positive I would need no technical support on.

IMO, buy panels based on total cost to get them to your place.

Thanks so much!
Bob
Problem with any recommendation like this is other folks experience may not help you if your shipment is handled poorly in transit. One inattentive fork lift operator or delivery driver can easily destroy the best packaging efforts. In some ways getting the experience of people that received broken panels and how it was handled by the Seller is likely more instructive. Companies that make it right are the ones you should deal with.

Greentech Renewables should have a location within few hours driving distance, go pick up yourself.

Good company with good customer service and warranty if you happen to need it

Thank you! I’d feel way more comfortable picking panels up my self. I’ll contact Greentech in Spokane.

SanTan has mostly used, some new leftovers. They are good about refunding for damage, but don't want to ship small number of replacements so buy extra.

Inxeption liquidates pallets (and containers) of inventory for other companies.

Current Connected builds crates around the pallets they ship. And they charge a small fee for 3rd party insurance, which they say pays up fast without hassle. Unlike the shipping companies which they have found often refuse to pay, even when a forklift was run through the load.

Alt E store.

Signature Solar.

Check Craigslist and eBay.
See if local companies have leftovers or take-off panels from old installations (bypass the resellers).

Get quality brands; some off-brands degrade, depending on environment and string voltage.

Back