diy solar

diy solar

Hello from the Twin Cities Minnesota, Long time lurker with an addiction

JerryK

I have been a long time lurker here, got kind of tired of not being able to comment & look at pictures that people post therefore I finally registered. I have learned a lot here.
A little bit about myself, I am retired, I am a hobbyist fascinated with electronics going back over 50 years.
It all started when I was about 12 years old delivering local morning newspapers, where I would pick up the newspapers every morning prior to delivery was one of the neighborhood convenient stores and attached to that store was a barbershop as well as a TV repair shop. Behind that TV repair shop was always some broken TVs and other electronics. The owner of the shop said I could take what I wanted just don't shock yourself with those old CRT tubes.

Over the years it became computers and I actually started a small business locally building computers.
Over the past I'd say just under 10 years I started messing around with power inverters, I'd look for deals on the secondary market and purchase just to play around and look at the build quality and features. I lost count on how many inverters I have purchased over the years I would say it was probably be about 50 or more anywhere from commercial low frequency to some other cheaper knock off high frequency china brands.

I live in a suburban area that back in the late 70s when this neighborhood was built they left many of the mature trees which are large red oak, white oak and other hardwoods. Behind my house to the east is a wooded area and with all of the canopy we have I do not have an ideal area for solar, but my goal has never been to be off grid more-so just play around with solar and it's associated equipment again as a hobby.

Presently my arsenal of inverters sitting here consist of two magnum 24 V inverters, ms4024pae and a MS4024, also a Xantrex XC Pro 3000, and a Vanner IT-12-1800, tbs power sine PS12-1600-60, a little Samlex SA-300-112 and last my most recent purchase is Blue! a Victron multiplus 12/2000/80

I have a bad addiction, I have no self-control when it comes to purchasing, but it's much more difficult letting them go especially some of the nicer builds.
My whole plan years ago was to power some of our household circuits basically some of the critical circuits with a backup power source, therefore I went out and purchased an industrial battery cabinet that was used for UPS purposes, over the years I have purchased numerous second hand AGM batteries basically at the cost of recycled lead within them, the vast majority of those still had over 80% capacity and we're very usable with little risk as I always had the opportunity to cash out recycling them.
I have a manual transfer switch, we have off peak electric water heating at under five cents a kilowatt hour. Our local utility also has some substantial savings on EV charging at some point I'd like to get one and there was also talk about offering off peak storage charging, which is an interest to me due to the fact I have limited solar opportunities at my location. This particular utility actually powers their local office with their own solar farm and storage.

I've enjoy my time here reading other peoples builds and experiences, I'm just starting to look at lithium storage opportunities it's nice that prices have taken a tumble in recent times.

With all that said don't be surprised if some of my surplus arsenal find its way here in the future, my difficulty on letting some of the nice stuff go needs to end or my bride will change my address to curb.

Presently my arsenal of inverters sitting here consist of two magnum 24 V inverters, ms4024pae and a MS4024, also a Xantrex XC Pro 3000, and a Vanner IT-12-1800, tbs power sine PS12-1600-60, a little Samlex SA-300-112 and last my most recent purchase is Blue! a Victron multiplus 12/2000/80
Thats a lot of 12V and 24V stuff. After a glance at your expected power usage (particularly EVs), you might want to consider 48V instead.

Buying and then researching has its downsides...

Thats a lot of 12V and 24V stuff. After a glance at your expected power usage (particularly EVs), you might want to consider 48V instead.

Buying and then researching has its downsides...
Yes I have only purchased 12 & 24 volt stuff, always from the used secondary market.
Since I have very limited solar opportunities on our lot, never had the intentions go on full-blown 48volt.
The set up originally was to be for emergency purposes, "that was my excuse to my bride" but I can count all the times we lost local utility power over the last 30+ years on one hand. But living in a region that can get -30+ Fahrenheit it's nice to have an option at the ready to cycle the forced air gas furnace once in a while, at least until I get the woodstove fired up and keep some lights on, just some creature comforts.

As for the EV, yes there will be one of them parked in the garage in the coming year or so but with the options of discounted off-peak charging available I don't ever see us feeding them solar power. Even if we did the minimal miles we drive weekly we would be able to get away with level 1 charging, with the split phase magnum that would get me into level 2, but I really have no desire to expand a battery bank to support that purpose. But I do want to get my hands on a couple lithium batteries at some point here.

On the plus side is all that 12 and 24 volt stuff when I'm done playing with them sells relatively fast as there is a larger more useful open market for it locally.

Those that are listed above are just the ones that have been more difficult on letting go and I added that blue one last weekend with a blue solar ppt 100/50 CC
That multiplus is just two under years old according to the serial number, the deal was too good, my addiction wouldn't let me pass on it.

It's just a hobby for me, I like to compare and contrast build quality etc, ain't no doubt I like tier 1 stuff it's substantially premium build.

I never did figure out if TBS actually makes that inverter or is it actually made by Samlex, as samlex has an identical European versions. There were several of these floating around coming out of Canada from a company called power cart, they slid out the access planel that had the TBS silkscreen logo, flipped that panel around and stuck their own badge on the backside of that access panel and then reinstalled onto the inverter.

I believe Samlex is the one that rebadged the TBS for their needs, manufactured in the Netherlands.

Back