diy solar

diy solar

system advice for big residential heat pump, limited budget.

robinlawrie

Hi all, newbie here. Im restoring an old countryside school in southern Italy. It will be our house. its 300 sq metres, flat roof , 50cm tuff stone walls.

Unfortunately most of the state financing which was supposed to assist us, has just been stopped (new government) , so we are left with a budget that is much too small for the building.

One thing we can still get financial assistance with is a heatpump.

This means a big old heatpump to offset the lack of insulation we can no longer afford. probably at least 20kw, more likely 25.

I will be digging into my "emergency fund" to build out a pv system (im handy with electronics and building stuff generally, and have a tame local electrician who will help make sure its all wired properly. ) , without which, the heatpump will be insanely expensive to run (20+ euro cents per kwh here...)

(one saving grace is we will hopefully also have a 30kw wood/pellet fired fireplace (water heating) which can substitute/assist the heatpump when its cloudy/too cold/night etc.. , so if careful we can avoid too much grid consumption, without consuming 1000kg of wood a day)

the other saving grace is we have lots of sun and a massive south aligned flat roof with almost no shade.

not knowing the exact model of heatpump (the engineer will be sizing the system) im not sure of exact requirements. however ive seen a few 25 kw heatpumps which suggest an 11kw circuit breaker, so that seems a good ballpark for how much it *could* consume on a bad day.

obviously all the other household loads need considering too..

note that feed in tariffs here are so small as to generally not be worth the hassle.

im imagining a system which will use pv/batteries where possible, and take from the grid when necessary. I'm guessing 3 phase is necessary.. Here any residential connection over 6 kw is provided as 3 phase apart from in special circumstances.

That leads to my questions:

*if i build out a system with a hybrid inverter.. size the inverter for say 15kw, but put in (for now, to expand as funds allow) only 5kw of panels and a modest battery (maybe 4.8kwh pylontech or similar), can it be set up to mix what is produced with the grid input to provide the required power even if over the pv / max battery output? ive never really understood if the output is either pv/battery OR grid, or can be a mix of the two.. (considering if set to avoid grid feed-in too)

* if i get a 10kw grid contract (more than 10kw the prices shoot up) can the battery be used to handle peaks above that, or is that just a terrible idea? it never really gets below -2C here, although we did have a freak week a few years ago where it hit minus 11C for a couple of days.

*is it better/cheaper to get 3 single phase inverters or a single bigger 3 phase one? i was looking at the growatt ones, but ive since read some horror stories here that put me right off. im on a tight budget but dont want fireworks!

alternatively i could build a system with separate charge controller, inverter etc... whatever costs less without sacrificing reliability and future expandability.

obviously id love to build a full 15kw setup immediately with 10's of kwh of batteries... but that will have to come later.

of course it may well be cheaper to just get a grid tie inverter despite the low tariffs, but i really want the option to add batteries in the near future if not immediately.

Last year the Russia thing cause electricity prices to spike at nearly 60 euro cents a kwh.... its also, like most things italian, a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare to get a diy solar system of any size connected to the grid if there is even a chance of feed-in happening.

The easy alternative to have a pro set up a system would double my costs and take the fun away.

Basically... ANY suggestions about how to spec out a useful solar system with the above requirements and a limited budget would be most appreciated.

many thanks, Robin.

You can go here and look at the kind of sun you get in winter (when you need the heatpump for heat) http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

winter is about 3x less sun than summer. This does not lend itself to budget installs wanting the best performance at the worst time of the year.

So if you put in 5kw of PV, you'll likely make 5kw*5hrs of sun = 25kwh/3 (winter sucks) = 8.3kwh/winter-day This ballpark would run a "11 kw breaker" for about 1 hr a day. Or basically nothing.

Recommend you look at some sort of wood fired boiler. in the US these are external and can burn even the worst prepped "firewood"

You can go here and look at the kind of sun you get in winter (when you need the heatpump for heat) http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

winter is about 3x less sun than summer. This does not lend itself to budget installs wanting the best performance at the worst time of the year.

So if you put in 5kw of PV, you'll likely make 5kw*5hrs of sun = 25kwh/3 (winter sucks) = 8.3kwh/winter-day This ballpark would run a "11 kw breaker" for about 1 hr a day. Or basically nothing.

Recommend you look at some sort of wood fired boiler. in the US these are external and can burn even the worst prepped "firewood"
your ballparks are pretty spot on :ROFLMAO:

ive done some simulations on nrel pvwatts calculator, and also some initial simulations of the heating requirements of the structure (you need to specify the materials of every element of the structure, windows, ground type, etc,etc.. . based on the location the building losses are averaged at around 14kw continuous during winter, with recommended system being 16kw.

im not an expert of the software but i assume this will be "worst case" since the software is designed to size heating equipment. im getting the engineer to redo the calculations obviously since i dont trust my attempts, but i dont think im far off.

- this is to maintain 22 degrees in the whole house, so again, worst case. (consider we currently heat a 160sqm stone building with 6m high ceilings using only an 8kw pellet stove.. in winter its 18 degrees in the living room and 14 degrees in the bedrooms, but with a jumper on during the day and an electric blanket on the bed at night, its quite liveable.)

assuming a COP of 2.8 for the heatpump (value from a generic 25kw heatpump when its -2 outside and the water temperature is 45 degrees, so pretty much worst case) average consumption would be 5.71KW.
at a more typical 6-10 degrees, the cop is closer to 3.5, so consumption would be around 4.6kw

PVwatts says a 5kw system at the optimum angle for winter production would produce around 220kwh in january. (and 630 in july, best month)

divide that by 31 days and you get a wonderful 7.1 kwh a day. so yeah.. maybe a couple of hours of heating.

i keep hoping ive missed something, or all these "worst case" calculations mean the reality is much better.

here they are pushing the heck out of heatpump+solar+batteries as the "new green solution" and loads of people have installed them all practically free with government assistance in the last few years.. but from what i can see, the sums are a bit.... off? i guess most people have smaller houses and better insulation.

pretty confused... even a 15kw array wouldnt cover half what i need.

with regards to the wood fired boiler, as mentioned, im hoping to install a wood/pellet burning fireplace (class a+, 87% efficient) which would heat the water on the same circuit as the heatpump giving me another set of heating options.. idea being to be able to choose the widest range of fuels possible, given likely future unpredictability.

having said that, the same heating software estimated i would need around 12 tons of biomass each year to heat the house, assuming only fireplace was used.

Last edited:
Is there some reason that much of the space could not be closed off and you only climate control your living areas?

Is there some reason that much of the space could not be closed off and you only climate control your living areas?
that is definitely the plan.. however i would also like to have a handle on the "worst case".

i will of course ask the engineer to estimate consumption when only the "main" rooms are heated, and at temperatures we would likely use (22 degrees is too stuffy for me in winter)

having said that , the theme could be said to be "open plan" the living /dining room is 75 sq m and the bedrooms are like 25 sq m each. basically we fell in love with a stupid building.

The vast gulf between solar production and actual consumption seems insurmountable... even cutting the house in half it seems i would need a 40kw solar array to run the heatpump without huge bills. .

at the moment ive just crossed my fingers my calculations are way off :ROFLMAO:

in any case, irrespective of the ridiculous heatpump issue (maybe even if i dont get a heatpump) my original questions still stand wrt designing an expandable system using cheaper (but not explody) equipment.

some budget brands with good reputations? (deye/sol ark?) hybrid inverter or off-grid with grid backup? mppt charge controller, batteries and solar inverter, plus extra grid powered charger to supplement system / batteries that way ?

i would like flexibility to choose wether to grid tie or not, wether to use batteries or not... so i guess a hybrid inverter is a good choice... but im not 100% sure i have understood all the differences despite reading a load of explanations..

i am also unsure as to wether to get a single 3 phase inverter sized to cover eventual requirements or 3 single phase ones..

pylontech batteries have a good reputation? seem solid and very reasonably priced from what i have seen online.

Back