diy solar

diy solar

Not sure what questions to ask

Winger4647

I'm fairly new to this and have read a lot of discussions on this forum but I have not figured out what I need for my particular setup or to even what system to ask for if an "all in one" package style. So allow me to explain.

I have a 2800 sq ft passive home and my power consumption averages 600 to 800 watts per hour. I have an 7KW Generac standby Generator and transfer switch. Yes it is overkill and expensive to use.

At minimum I want to be able to run the home off a battery bank. I would like to stay connected to the grid but NOT sell power back to the utility. Keep the generator for backup in case the grid goes down or possibly to top off the batteries when needed. I would like the ability to program whether the grid, batteries or generator are the first source.

Not sure if I want to spring for solar right away but would like to have the ability to upgrade.

Am I looking for an off grid system? If I comprehended the information that I have read the EG-4 (and others) are capable (hybrids) of connecting all of this together including the grid?

I read information from the FloridaDesign Group that the inverter should be connected to the line side of the transfer switch but should not be capable of backfeeding more ampacity to the grid than their supply will handle. I HAVE TO ASSUME this would only be an issue with solar panels? With this connected in this fashion in a grid down situation the Generac transfer switch would not trip UNLESS I RAN OUT OF BATTERIES?

Appreciate any comments will help me ask better questions in the future.

my power consumption averages 600 to 800 watts per hour.
700W x 24h = 16,800Wh per day

Guessing 5 solar hours:
16,800Wh / 5h = 3360W of solar panels

You will be running off batteries for the 19 non-solar hours:
19h x 700W = 13,300Wh battery to get thru the day

13,300Wh / 14V = 950Ah of usable batter (so double for lead acid)

Thanks kinda what I had figured.
Just out of curiosity, what do you have running 24/7 that uses 600-700W of power?

My gut feel is that a little effort with using less power could greatly reduce the constant energy draws. Small reductions here can greatly reduce the system requirements.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have running 24/7 that uses 600-700W of power?

My gut feel is that a little effort with using less power could greatly reduce the constant energy draws. Small reductions here can greatly reduce the system requirements.
My whole house including a/c uses that kind of power per hour and that is with one of the heat pumps cranking. The average for the month is a bit over 500kw per month a little higher in winter months (2) when colder. At night usually 100 to 150w per hour and during the day of course higher.

Back