diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000 XP general questions part II

kdomm

Hi all, I recently got some great advice from @BentleyJ via a post a week or so ago and I'm hugely grateful to them for the help! At the time I thought a 30amp transfer switch was the right thing for me, but after learning bit more, I felt that a 50amp transfer switch would give me some more flexibility for not too much more expense. So, as a total newb, I am of course concerned about my choices.

In the diagram below, you can see that in my initial set up I'm not integrating solar or a propane generator yet (though I would like too soon). I've seen many people indicate that 50 amps is fine so hopefully that's true. The transfer switch is a fairly easy concept for me to grasp and seems safe and doable as a diy. I'm using an outlet and inlet box so that I don't hardwire the inverter to the house and can just unplug it and take it and the batteries with me when I move. I'd leave everything else.

Anyway, the questions are does the diagram below look sane? And is the transfer switch the way to go? Someone mentioned using a 'critical loads panel' as opposed to the transfer switch. Is that the same as a sub-panel? Does a sub-panel help make the inverter more automated in that it will take advantage of the inverter's ability to use the grid if solar or batteries are not available? Is that what sub-panel offers over a transfer switch? As far as wiring goes, to use a sub-panel, would I move the items I want to power with the inverter from the primary breaker panel to the sub-panel?

I'm feeling that there are just so many ways to go. I guess my goals are to be safe, keep this doable for a newb, keep it flexible for future expansion, keep it portable and fully leverage the functionality of the 6000 xp.

Any thoughts very welcome and thank you.

solar-generator.png

The Reliance device is essentially a critical loads subpanel the only difference is it has the transfer switches for each circuit built in vs. a subpanel that would only have the breakers and then the manual transfer switch would be separate. End result the function would be same with the exception that the individual transfer toggle switches provide more flexibility but may be slightly less convenient compared to a single lever transfer switch.

EG4 6000XP has a 50A rated pass thru relay so up sizing from 30A is OK.

A generator could be added by either plugging directly into the Reliance Pwr Inlet Box or connecting to the Gen input on the Inverter.

That said, one advantage of using a regular subpanel and connecting the Gen to the inverter is that it would make the system more automated as the inverter would open and close its internal relays as needed to supply gen power if grid was down and/or solar & batt were not enough for the load.

EDIT: Note that the Bypass rating of the Gen input on the 6000XP is only 30A.

The Reliance device is essentially a critical loads subpanel the only difference is it has the transfer switches for each circuit built in vs. a subpanel that would only have the breakers and then the manual transfer switch would be separate. End result the function would be same with the exception that the individual transfer toggle switches provide more flexibility but may be slightly less convenient compared to a single lever transfer switch.

EG4 6000XP has a 50A rated pass thru relay so up sizing from 30A is OK.

A generator could be added by either plugging directly into the Reliance Pwr Inlet Box or connecting to the Gen input on the Inverter.

That said, one advantage of using a regular subpanel and connecting the Gen to the inverter is that it would make the system more automated as the inverter would open and close its internal relays as needed to supply gen power if grid was down and/or solar & batt were not enough for the load.
Once again, thank you so much!!

I would suggest an EG4 Chargeverter 5000 to take care of the generator instead of the generator input on the 6000XP. Do a search on the forum and youtube...plenty of info on reasons why.

I would suggest an EG4 Chargeverter 5000 to take care of the generator instead of the generator input on the 6000XP. Do a search on the forum and youtube...plenty of info on reasons why.
Thank you for the reminder! I have seen this mentioned and will go this route when the time comes.

EDIT: Note that the Bypass rating of the Gen input on the 6000XP is only 30A.
Thank you for pointing that out. I guess the chargeverter that Mr onetwo pointed out would be a safe way to charge via generator.

Back