diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000 XP general questions

The smaller 3kw EG4 are 120v. Many Victron inverters in the U.S. are also such as the Multiplus 3k and 5k 120v. Several other off brands are also.

One other item you could look into is an Autotransformer to step-up 120v to 240v but that comes with other baggage to deal with.
May be off topic of this thread I am looking to get two of the eg4 3kw to parallel for split-phase are they worthwhile for the incredibly reduced cost? I think so, but I cannot seem to settle on a battery I like..I have considered Two options budget is the biggest factor here for somebody as poor as I am..I am considering the eg4 wp waterproof batteries now signature solar has some refurbished 48v wp models but they are not on The website but cost $899 and I will need 4 of them. They also have the 12v version for about $239 I think so for the same capacity I would need about 16. My biggest concerns are the quality of the refurbished units, short warranty period, and limited warehouse stock available. Bc they don't have any of the 48 versions available on the site at all? What should I do. And I know that 16 batteries is an incredible amount of space to occupy and the conductor cost as well I'm just considering the future bc I have been told not to parallel these batteries. With no other manufacturers of battery but eg4 and use the exact same type...the 48v wp version..? I don't know what to do I already have my own 12v's i could series myself and parallel together but I will still need a victron shunt and cerbo regardless...I have a $10,000 absolute max budget and need to stay as much below as possible any recommendations..

Jared, thanks, my consern it I have 180 foot from Gen and Grid to 6000xp, voltage drop, wondered if I could use 6awg and use a terminal on the end to get it in the breaker on the 6000xp, does that sound smart way to go?

Looks like many of you used 6 AWG, did you have to use a terminal on the end? to make it fit in the breaker?

Looks like many of you used 6 AWG, did you have to use a terminal on the end? to make it fit in the breaker?
It fit in just fine. No terminal. I think the recommendation of 8 awg is only because that is the minimum size for 50 amps. BUT it does not follow the 80/20 rule that some of us follow.

Electricians usually calculate circuit load with a 20 percent safety margin, making sure that the maximum appliance and fixture load on the circuit is no more than 80 percent of the available amperage and wattage provided by the circuit.

If you have a branch circuit supplying nothing but continuous loads (Examples; battery charging, stove, dryer ect), then the minimum conductor size must have an ampacity of 125% of the load per NEC 210.19(A)(1).

6000xp output is 50 amps. 8awg is rated to 55 amps. Just too close for some of us and that electrician friend that someone was talking about up the post
Simply put its just good practice and overkill.

Last edited:
It fit in just fine. No terminal. I think the recommendation of 8 awg is only because that is the minimum size for 50 amps. BUT it does not follow the 80/20 rule that some of us follow.

Electricians usually calculate circuit load with a 20 percent safety margin, making sure that the maximum appliance and fixture load on the circuit is no more than 80 percent of the available amperage and wattage provided by the circuit.

If you have a branch circuit supplying nothing but continuous loads (Examples; battery charging, stove, dryer ect), then the minimum conductor size must have an ampacity of 125% of the load per NEC 210.19(A)(1).

6000xp output is 50 amps. 8awg is rated to 55 amps. Just too close for some of us and that electrician friend that someone was talking about up the post
As an engineer you always calculate in extra safety factors overkill when it comes to safety is good. That is my opinion..I operate in the belief that it's better safe than sorry, maybe that's just me but I highly doubt that...

Thanks, very helpful!

Thanks a lot !

When connecting eg4 6000xp ac out to sub panel (125 amps) 8 circuits, then using a 40 double pole breaker to connect to a pro trans 2
6 circuit transfer switch Do you need to connect neutral and ground wires to pro trans 2 or just connect L1 and L2?

The 6000XP is a 240V split phase inverter. The best way to connect the inverter AC Input is via a 2 pole, 25 to 30A breaker in your main panel. The transfer relay is rated for up to 50A but the Reliance Transfer switch is rated at 30A so the breaker has to be sized to protect everything downstream.

You could use 10/4 or 8/4 SO cable for a direct connection between the panel and the inverter. Another choice would be to install a NEMA 14-50 Receptacle in an outdoor box then make up an SO cord with the mating plug on one end and direct wire to the inverter on the other end. The 25 to 30A breaker rule would still apply but I would use #6 wire for the NEMA 14-50 receptacle connection to the panel just so the next owner of the house could safely upgrade the breaker to the full 50A receptacle rating.
This is helpful

Page 1, starting with the technical specs, shows 120/240v AC Input. The fact that any reference to 120v implied, for me, that either voltage could be used. And I understand that using 240v would require L1, L2 Neutral and ground. But it’s not stated succinctly anywhere in their manual or in any literature I’ve found. Eag4 has not replied to my inquiry either. Frustrating!

Here’s the issue, I won’t have 240v for this. My small generator is only 2000 watts and won’t make 240. Why make an Off-grid unit that has such requirements? Rhetorically speaking ,of course.

So I’ll return and get what? Whose inverter can handle 120 volt AC input?

View attachment 201139
My limited understanding is this and most split phase inverters will require ac input of 240v if needed for charging as well as the capability to output 240v or 120v via the split phases. the yellow off grid eg4 is 120v

When connecting eg4 6000xp ac out to sub panel (125 amps) 8 circuits, then using a 40 double pole breaker to connect to a pro trans 2
6 circuit transfer switch Do you need to connect neutral and ground wires to pro trans 2 or just connect L1 and L2?
Whoa whoa whoa English please...what is a "pro Trans (2)"? Sounds like an extinct Pontiac car from the early 90's...

This is an extremely loaded question. I am not an electrical engineer but I know enough to know it sounds like your asking if you need to connect neutral and ground to some sort of a sub panel. You describe the subpanel type in detail but don't state where you are and in what country. If your asking this question, I'm sorry but you should not be doing this installation. You need to understand the neutal ground bond. Your also asking a new totally different question in another thread. I'll let someone more qualified than me try to answer if they choose.

So since we've got a general questions thread going, I'll ask in here rather than opening yet another 6000xp thread.

1: Just how off-grid friendly is it? Do I need to set up an app and get it online to make everything work or can I just bolt it to the pump house wall and send it?

2: Does it do its own N-G bond and if so, how hard is that to disable? My Growatt I had to open up and remove a couple screws.

3: How important is communication with the battery for operation? Is it required or just nice to have? The battery build will have an integrated shunt.

So since we've got a general questions thread going, I'll ask in here rather than opening yet another 6000xp thread.

1: Just how off-grid friendly is it? Do I need to set up an app and get it online to make everything work or can I just bolt it to the pump house wall and send it?

2: Does it do its own N-G bond and if so, how hard is that to disable? My Growatt I had to open up and remove a couple screws.

3: How important is communication with the battery for operation? Is it required or just nice to have? The battery build will have an integrated shunt.
I'm in the same situation. Just pulled the trigger on a 6000XP w/ 1 wall mount indoor battery. it'll be in an off-grid cabin and I'm trying to soak up more info to make the process go smoother.

Back