diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000 XP general questions

kdomm

Hi all, due in large part to Will Prowse and this forum I took the plunge and ordered a EG4 6000 XP and two EG4 LL-S Lithium Battery | 48V 100AH. I have plans for growing this set up, but in the short term I simply aim to connect it to my breaker panel and use it as a backup.

A transfer switch makes a lot of sense to me and though I'm a complete newb, I'm fairly handy and feel that with care I can diy it. Maybe something like this:

However, and I feel really dumb for having to ask this, how do I connect the AC in? I mean, can you just cut off a the ends of a heavy extension cord, wire it, and plug it into the wall? Do I add a breaker to my main panel and wire it to that? I expect the latter is the way, but I really want to keep this as portable as possible b/c I probably won't be staying in this house for long.

Thanks in advance for any help!

The 6000XP is a 240V split phase inverter. The best way to connect the inverter AC Input is via a 2 pole, 25 to 30A breaker in your main panel. The transfer relay is rated for up to 50A but the Reliance Transfer switch is rated at 30A so the breaker has to be sized to protect everything downstream.

You could use 10/4 or 8/4 SO cable for a direct connection between the panel and the inverter. Another choice would be to install a NEMA 14-50 Receptacle in an outdoor box then make up an SO cord with the mating plug on one end and direct wire to the inverter on the other end. The 25 to 30A breaker rule would still apply but I would use #6 wire for the NEMA 14-50 receptacle connection to the panel just so the next owner of the house could safely upgrade the breaker to the full 50A receptacle rating.

The 6000XP is a 240V split phase inverter. The best way to connect the inverter AC Input is via a 2 pole, 25 to 30A breaker in your main panel. The transfer relay is rated for up to 50A but the Reliance Transfer switch is rated at 30A so the breaker has to be sized to protect everything downstream.

You could use 10/4 or 8/4 SO cable for a direct connection between the panel and the inverter. Another choice would be to install a NEMA 14-50 Receptacle in an outdoor box then make up an SO cord with the mating plug on one end and direct wire to the inverter on the other end. The 25 to 30A breaker rule would still apply but I would use #6 wire for the NEMA 14-50 receptacle connection to the panel just so the next owner of the house could safely upgrade the breaker to the full 50A receptacle rating.
Thank you so much for your help!

I'm taking time tonight to digest what you've said and just want to thank you again. I am very appreciative!

Hi all, due in large part to Will Prowse and this forum I took the plunge and ordered a EG4 6000 XP and two EG4 LL-S Lithium Battery | 48V 100AH. I have plans for growing this set up, but in the short term I simply aim to connect it to my breaker panel and use it as a backup.

A transfer switch makes a lot of sense to me and though I'm a complete newb, I'm fairly handy and feel that with care I can diy it. Maybe something like this:

However, and I feel really dumb for having to ask this, how do I connect the AC in? I mean, can you just cut off a the ends of a heavy extension cord, wire it, and plug it into the wall? Do I add a breaker to my main panel and wire it to that? I expect the latter is the way, but I really want to keep this as portable as possible b/c I probably won't be staying in this house for long.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Good luck!
Hope you have a lot of time on your hands talking to customer support.
It is NOT a plug and play setup.

Good luck!

I know you’re new here @side2show but this is a DIY forum and generally people chime in with helpful suggestions if they reply at all.

DIY is not usually plug and play in my experience.

I see BentlyJ has already made some good suggestions.

Keep us posted on your progress @kdomm

Just a heads up. This went well thanks to the help from this forum. Thank you for the help!

There were zero issues with the hardware/software from signature solar so far. The hardest part was running wire and patching walls. Next step will be to incorporate 10 panels. 1000023667.jpg

Just a heads up. This went well thanks to the help from this forum. Thank you for the help!

There were zero issues with the hardware/software from signature solar so far. The hardest part was running wire and patching walls. Next step will be to incorporate 10 panels. View attachment 197684
Looks great @kdomm. I’m very happy with my 6000xp install my cabin. These units seem pretty solid.

Does the 6000xp have pre-charge circuitry built into the battery breakers are do I need to use a resistor when making initial battery connections

You need a resistor or #2 pencil. I tried without and my BMS went into protection. Used a pencil as a resistor and it worked perfectly on my 6000xp with my custom built battery packs.

Last edited:
Does the 6000xp have pre-charge circuitry built into the battery breakers are do I need to use a resistor when making initial battery connections
There was no mention of the need for a resistor when first mounting the batteries. I didn't do it and didn't suffer any consequences for it. There is however a specific sequence to how you start things up and shut things down. It's in the manual. I have to warn you though that I'm very new to this. There are others here that can answer your question with more authority.

When I was researching the 6000XP there was no specific requirement in any literature for using 240volts exclusively for the AC input. In my situation, which I discussed with SS before purchase, I was given the impression that 120v would be adequate, yet undersized, for any great battery charging requirements. For my system I want 120v only to top off or maintain some battery charge on cloudy or rainy days. I have plenty of solar but weather could be an issue. The location is pretty remote in the Sierras but we do have a 50 amp service for the cabin.

So for this 240 volt requirement, could I jump from L1 to L2 to allow the inverter to “see” 240 volts? I’m only going to allow 5 amps of charge to run back into the batteries so I won’t tax the wiring in the cabin. I just want to maintain the batteries at their proper charge in the times we don’t or can’t get to the cabin regularly or if the weather reduces our PV.

Can’t jump L1 and L2 from 120v to see 240v, you will actually end up with 0v. Page 16 in the manual shows you need L1 and L2.

Page 1, starting with the technical specs, shows 120/240v AC Input. The fact that any reference to 120v implied, for me, that either voltage could be used. And I understand that using 240v would require L1, L2 Neutral and ground. But it’s not stated succinctly anywhere in their manual or in any literature I’ve found. Eag4 has not replied to my inquiry either. Frustrating!

Here’s the issue, I won’t have 240v for this. My small generator is only 2000 watts and won’t make 240. Why make an Off-grid unit that has such requirements? Rhetorically speaking ,of course.

So I’ll return and get what? Whose inverter can handle 120 volt AC input?

1710022813858.png

The smaller 3kw EG4 are 120v. Many Victron inverters in the U.S. are also such as the Multiplus 3k and 5k 120v. Several other off brands are also.

One other item you could look into is an Autotransformer to step-up 120v to 240v but that comes with other baggage to deal with.

The smaller 3kw EG4 are 120v. Many Victron inverters in the U.S. are also such as the Multiplus 3k and 5k 120v. Several other off brands are also.

One other item you could look into is an Autotransformer to step-up 120v to 240v but that comes with other baggage to deal with.
I think I’ll get a separate charger that will draw from the 120v and keep the batteries topped off. And then look for a solution down the road. Thanks for your input.

Does anyone know the maximum amp wire copper that will fit into the utility input of a 6000 XP? Or gauge size

Good luck!
I'm no dummy but it was more or less for me.

Only questions I had were answered by an eg4 rep right in this forum.

That said, OP is in the absolute right place.

Back