diy solar

diy solar

the dreaded "volts but no amps or watts"

texasjames

I have a Lion Energy Safari ME solar generator which they recommend pairing with their 100 watt, 24 volt solar panels (up to 6 - its limit is 30-60 volts and 600 watts).
I already have 2 275 watt, 32 volt panels so I figured I'd just use them. so when I plug the panels in(connected in series), I hear a click and the "solar panel" icon lights up. but, rather than seeing "time till full" I still see "time till empty". I connected a power monitor between the solar panels and the solar generator and it reads "60 volts, 0 amps, 0 watts" - what I'm wondering is.....maybe my solar generator is broken and its not switching to solar input. I need a way to test the solar panels. another possibility is that since my panels are 32 volts, and since connecting in series combines the volts, the 64 volts exceeds the 60 volt max allowed so maybe the unit is just not allowing it. so I hooked just one panel. now I have 32 volts coming in. again I get volts but no amps and no watts. and still the unit reads "time to empty"

I hope you haven't fried it by going over voltage :(

What state of charge is the battery pack, if it's full, or nearly so, you're not going to get any amps.

Check you have the correct polarity at the connector (that it is seeing the panel suggests it's correct, but it never hurts to check).

You can do a quick check of your panel by connecting your multimeter on Amps across the terminals when the panel is in full sun, you should get something approaching the specified Isc. Do this at the connector to your solar generator and you check the wiring too.

Does the beast charge from the alternative source inputs?

I hope you haven't fried it by going over voltage :(

What state of charge is the battery pack, if it's full, or nearly so, you're not going to get any amps.

Check you have the correct polarity at the connector (that it is seeing the panel suggests it's correct, but it never hurts to check).

You can do a quick check of your panel by connecting your multimeter on Amps across the terminals when the panel is in full sun, you should get something approaching the specified Isc. Do this at the connector to your solar generator and you check the wiring too.

Does the beast charge from the alternative source inputs?
I hope I haven't fried it too. it charges just fine from the house outlet. the battery is around 86% full. so the solar won't charge to 100%? why is that?
I need to get a different voltmeter....mine doesn't do under 20 amps

I fixed my issue. I switched from running my panels in series to running them parallel and now the solar generator is charging. I'm not certain WHY this works, but it works.

Lucky you.
Voc of those panels is 38 volts.
38 x 2 (2panels in series) = 76 volts
According to you, the max input voltage for your SCC is 60 volts.
76>60. Typically means magic smoke.

I guess I spoke too soon. I decided to drain my battery to 50% and time it to see how long it takes to charge. but now its back to not showing any amps or watts from the panels even under brighter sunlight. very frustrating.
also.....when I turn my unit on with nothing plugged in, it says "time to empty 99h 59m" which makes sesse. but as soon as I plug my panels in, it says "time to empty: 53h 46m" - with?

Back