diy solar

diy solar

The "Meg" Build

Eh, don't feel bad. Even engineers submit their plans for engineering review. It's easy to miss things that you take for granted. Do you understand the implications of wiring more panels in series? If so, I'm glad this is a relatively easy fix!

Eh, don't feel bad. Even engineers submit their plans for engineering review. It's easy to miss things that you take for granted. Do you understand the implications of wiring more panels in series? If so, I'm glad this is a relatively easy fix!
Yes, the Sunpower panels have 3S configuration, yielding 145.8v right now, and going to 4S3P will yield 194.4v, which is well below the 250v max.

The santan/Trina panels are 225.6v VOC in a 6S configuration, and it is not changing, just reducing parallel strings.

If this nets me closer to 200 watts/panel, I will be a very happy man.

Glad you found it. Think this is what might have caused your first LV6548 to release the smoke genies?

Glad you found it. Think this is what might have caused your first LV6548 to release the smoke genies?
No I spoke with Ian and the MPPT does a pretty good job of accepting over current. We think it was the heat that did it in. They still warrantied the Main board as well.

I'm also thinking about making a new thread to diagnose a low PV wattage problem. Even at solar noon, all of my panels are struggling to get over 60% of rated output. Even the super nice Sunpower panels that @Will Prowse raves about is only at 66%. Batteries are at 20% and I have a 4000 watt load so it definitely should be taking everything it can get.

Where do I start first?
I would think out this.. test each panel individually

Amazon

I thought about getting one, but after watching Wills video where he bought 2, I wasn't very impressed.
I watched the video... he bad talked it for being few watts difference between the two maybe 5%.... then he stopped using then after 1st connection. not really a review...

as long as it reads consistently then doesn't matter if it reads 205 not 210... you could still easily find weak panels among your array. no two meters will read the same like reading 220v.. one reads 223v the other reads 219v... no biggy you don't stop using meters

I imagine shorting the panel and measuring with DC clamp meter would find bad panels. But let’s hope it’s just the clipping due to hitting max amperage input.

I watched the video... he bad talked it for being few watts difference between the two maybe 5%.... then he stopped using then after 1st connection. not really a review...

as long as it reads consistently then doesn't matter if it reads 205 not 210... you could still easily find weak panels among your array. no two meters will read the same like reading 220v.. one reads 223v the other reads 219v... no biggy you don't stop using meters
I think they were also both showing lower wattage than a true Victron MPPT, which is why he was upset. But ill have to watch the video again, I don't remember.
I imagine shorting the panel and measuring with DC clamp meter would find bad panels. But let’s hope it’s just the clipping due to hitting max amperage input.
I have done that and posted the results in this thread, all short circuit info looked pretty consistent, but that doesn't mean under load they are good either. Rearranging the panels I think is going to make a big deal.

I caved and bought the smallest window AC I could find. Im terrified that running the inverters at 70*C will damage another one! Online it says this AC fits a minimum 21" wide window, but its actually only 16" wide, so it fit just fine between the frame supports in the side wall of the compartment. Its just a little 5000BTU GE window air conditioner i got at lowes for $170 after tax. Couldn't beat it i guess.

With a kill a watt meter on it, it shows 500 watts running on high, and 55 watts for just the fan, so its not very efficient at all, but worth not burning up the inverters themselves!
View attachment 54844

I also will not show the mounting system yet, as it is absolutely horrible lol. Its just a temporary to get it running and not burn up the inverters, ill make a much better permanent mount that won't let it move around too much while driving. It also blows HOT hot air out the condensor directly at the door of the propane compartment. I was hoping that the bottom of the compartment being open, it would have enough air flow, but with the condenser only a few inches from the door, im afraid it will damage it, so I am leaving the door open for now until I figure out something better.

I think I have the same problem. I just routed a 4” duct with an inline fan to pull interior air into the basement but I don't think it will be enough.

I think I have the same problem. I just routed a 4” duct with an inline fan to pull interior air into the basement but I don't think it will be enough.
Yup, exactly what I did. 100cfm inline fan, also another 100cfm exhaust fan that blows out of the compartment. Wasnt near enough, but I also believe the victron equipment won't build near as much heat and I think you're in a cooler environment than I am.

Yup, exactly what I did. 100cfm inline fan, also another 100cfm exhaust fan that blows out of the compartment. Wasnt near enough, but I also believe the victron equipment won't build near as much heat and I think you're in a cooler environment than I am.
Yeah I’m staying away from 100 ?
My heat problem is just soaking in the exterior temps. The inverters aren’t working hard and don’t put out much heat. I’m usually below 1200 watts. I really don’t want to relocate the battery. Ugh. Major surgery. And yowza! Your graph!

Yeah I’m staying away from 100 ?
My heat problem is just soaking in the exterior temps. The inverters aren’t working hard and don’t put out much heat. I’m usually below 1200 watts. I really don’t want to relocate the battery. Ugh. Major surgery. And yowza! Your graph!
2 weeks ago it peaked at 123* outside ???

I think they were also both showing lower wattage than a true Victron MPPT, which is why he was upset. But ill have to watch the video again, I don't remember.

the readings are pretty close. less then 5% as I said... he just got pretty down on the testers... his victron set up was bulky and expensive also (because it needs a low battery)...
heck one tester read 93.6w and victron read 94w pretty close to me... and he never talked voltage
20210703_063347.jpg20210703_063417.jpg20210703_064459.jpg

Testing a PV panel tester, you want same illumination for each test. If you don't have the lamp used for production testing, use the sun instead, intensity varies and without measuring you wouldn't know. Also, as panels heat up, their output changes. Read one panel over time and observe how much it changes - whatever variation is observed, don't expect two testers to differ less than that.

Need to switch panel between the testers several times and average multiple readings from each tester. Or put a different panel on each tester, read each one. Then exchange panels between testers and read again. If one panel consistently reads lower on all testers, it produces less. If one tester consistently reads low with all panels, its measurement is lower. Assuming several similar panels used, average of all readings by a given tester could be compared to the other testers.

A hand-held tester can't measure panel wattage under load, because it can't dissipate hundreds of watts. Same goes for automotive starting battery testers for cranking amps. It can draw "I" and measure "V" for a brief period; maybe that would read high because interconnect doesn't heat up; more likely low because a 100W 20% PV panel would still be getting 100W of heating, rather than 100W - 20% = 80W of heating.

I went through three Optima batteries in my Civic, each lasting about 20 months. The car would start eagerly time after time during the day, then one time nothing. Open circuit, voltage was around 12.5V. Headlights on, around 6V and a dim glow. Auto store battery tester showed 60 CCA (though obviously not "cold" cranking amps on a balmy day.) If the battery had actually been able to deliver 60A at 7.5V cranking voltage, 400W, it would have light the headlights just fine and held 12V. The switching load battery tester was not accurate. (I figure something inside the battery broke lose, leaving the tiniest amount of lead as an electrode.)

Back