diy solar

diy solar

Think these are trash?

Lt.Dan

Solar Wizard
I got 2x 390w Bifacials that got cracked in transit. Both are on the back. Anybody have any ideas, or are they destined for the dump?

This is the worst of the 2:
20230317_171118.jpg

Santan solar sells bifacials with back glass cracked so somebody thinks they are of value.

Throw a meter on them in the sun, make sure the numbers for volts and amps are close between the panels and the data label. If everything is close then go for it.

I know they work, I'm worried about weather intrusion and problems later on down the road. Any ideas for sealing it up without affecting output? Or is the seal still in tact due to some crazy solar panel technology? Idk.

I have 2 more panels that look like this. Definitely no good lol. These panels shifted in transit while on the back of my truck and got crushed by the MC4.

20230308_212639.jpg

20230309_063025.jpg

I would just use them until they stop putting out power.

Smear some clear silicone on one and measure the before/after difference in output if you want to experiment.

I have 2 more panels that look like this. Definitely no good lol. These panels shifted in transit while on the back of my truck and got crushed by the MC4.
You could provide a new watertight protective layer with stuff like this on it:
I have done that with a couple of panels and <knock wood> so far so good.
But I am always worried that the thermal expansion/retraction eventually will make the whole panel crack.
The panels I "patched" were way way smaller than yours, so probably more rigid.
Make it a project, put a micro inverter on it and treat it as found energy as long as it works.
The other side facing the dun should still put out most of the energy

Back