diy solar

diy solar

This is solar related ..

offgriddle

"FOREVER BEGINNING"
I'm still performing testing and recording measurements on my "measurement question" post and thank you everyone for your help.

On a side note, this lithium powered bike came in this week. Because of the WWCFP, (World Wide Covid Flu Panic), the homesteady who purchased it had to order and wait a stupidly long tome for a slightly used one procured stateside! Clearly the bike was packaged by orangutans, loose parts were afloat inside the shipping damaged box and there wasn't even so much as a post it note included regarding assembly and operation!

Lucky I have fairly groovy electrical and mechanical aptitude and experience so I was able to put it together with only one part left over! We are still awaiting the requested PDF's on assembly and operation to be emailed from the California supplier of this quite plausibly well constructed, Chinese made bike!

Will the Bluetti 2400 have the chutzpah to charge this bike, operate a small freezer along with basic lighting and electronics for a cabin, all on a maximum of ten amps per hour charging input?

Yikes ...OG

Attachments

• 20200710_201257.jpg
    20200710_201257.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200712_103337.jpg
    20200712_103337.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 10
Good job only having only 1 part left over!

If you can find the ah (amp-hr) rating on the battery, multiply it by the battery voltage to get watt-hrs. You can assume, worst-case, that you'll need that quantity to charge it.

You can make a list of the daily watt-hr needs of your appliances and this bike. I.e., write down the (amp draw) x (voltage [which will be either 12v or 120v except for the bike] ) x (the # of hrs the appliance operates each day) for each item, then total them. For the freezer, I'd assume it operates 12 hrs/day.

Assuming you have enough panels, the charge controller provides a max of 500w. That's a max of 500 watt-hrs "per hr" in good sunlight. So e.g., if you get an overall equivalent of 5 hrs/day of good sunshine, you'd get 2,500 watt-hrs from solar. Then knock off a little for the bike charger losses and/or inverter losses, so say 2,200 watt-hrs per day.

This is how much is generated, not necessarily the amount stored. I don't know what the Bluetti storage capacity is. Even if you do have capacity for everything, you'd probably only want to charge the bike when there is sunlight.

Good job only having only 1 part left over!

If you can find the ah (amp-hr) rating on the battery, multiply it by the battery voltage to get watt-hrs. You can assume, worst-case, that you'll need that quantity to charge it.

You can make a list of the daily watt-hr needs of your appliances and this bike. I.e., write down the (amp draw) x (voltage [which will be either 12v or 120v except for the bike] ) x (the # of hrs the appliance operates each day) for each item, then total them. For the freezer, I'd assume it operates 12 hrs/day.

Assuming you have enough panels, the charge controller provides a max of 500w. That's a max of 500 watt-hrs "per hr" in good sunlight. So e.g., if you get an overall equivalent of 5 hrs/day of good sunshine, you'd get 2,500 watt-hrs from solar. Then knock off a little for the bike charger losses and/or inverter losses, so say 2,200 watt-hrs per day.

This is how much is generated, not necessarily the amouconnent stored. I don't know what the Bluetti storage capacity is. Even if you do have capacity for everything, you'd probably only want to charge the bike when there is sunlight.
Thank You Fred,
as soon as time allows, additional panels will be connected in a series/parallel arrangement which will provide a maximum, full sun power output of 840 watts at about 44 volts dc, minus about 20 percent for line and splitter/connector losses for a total full sun wattage input to the Bluetti of close to 700 watts. We will then see what my neighbor's Bluetti will display for input wattage when the batteries have a low SOC.

Yes indeed, calculating ones power requirement's in watts or amps is essential in properly sizing a system. In my case, I had and still have a limited and finite sum of money to invest in solar and I know that amount is not going to meet all of my power needs at this time, nonetheless, I spend what I can carefully and thoughtfully ever mindful of system expansion and growth.

Rock On .. OG

Back