diy solar

diy solar

Toddler part Two

Tamacat

So the next question is:

Edit: LifePo4 batteries.

Does the battery have to be the same 12.8v 50 ah from the same company? They are selling it bundled with an AC plug in charger, which I think is a good emergency tool to have, but there are other less pricy 12.8v 50ahs out there. However some mention different internal systems not meshing?

I'm kind of inclined to like this Eco-Worthy kit set up because I'm learning a lot fighting with it hands on for the price, but I'm also inclined to throw a perfectly good battery out the window and just blow the months mad money on a 100 ah battery. Too bad they can't mix and match.

And regarding connecting them, I read in posts here that the batteries should be at the same charge before connecting, to balance them? Or should I trust the Renogy Rover MPPT to do that?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
And regarding connecting them, I read in posts here that the batteries should be at the same charge before connecting, to balance them? Or should I trust the Renogy Rover MPPT to do that?

I charged each battery separately before I connected mine.
Does the battery have to be the same 12.8v 50 ah from the same company?
If these are lithiums iron phosphate and have the same charge profiles, I would mix them.

I charged each battery separately before I connected mine.

If these are lithiums iron phosphate and have the same charge profiles, I would mix them.
I forgot to put that they are LifePo4.

I'll make sure they have the same charge, then. Since the new one comes w an AC charger, it shouldn't be difficult. ? Just nervous something will go wrong.

You can put different brand LFP together if the specs are the same and close in age but generally not recommended.

In fact many of the companies like Ampertime, LI Time and Enjoybot are basically the same batteries with a different label.

Yes, you should charge both batteries to full separately before connecting together and be aware multiple batteries can get out of balance over time and need that process done again.

The BMS controls cell charge not the controller and the battery manufacture will state how many batteries can be used together in parallel or series.

You can put different brand LFP together if the specs are the same and close in age but generally not recommended.

In fact many of the companies like Ampertime, LI Time and Enjoybot are basically the same batteries with a different label.

Yes, you should charge both batteries to full separately before connecting together and be aware multiple batteries can get out of balance over time and need that process done again.

The BMS controls cell charge not the controller and the battery manufacture will state how many batteries can be used together in parallel or series.
Thank you! I think, despite the budget, we'd better go with the same brand. At least it comes with that AC charger, for the money.

They don't have to be the same brand.
Being the same brand/capacity/chemistry removes variables from differential SOC that could (otherwise) creep in.

More advanced discussion - ignore this @Tamacat not applicable to your current situation:
As an example: I have four DIY packs 48v 16s 280Ah running on the same bus bars as two factory built EG4 lifepower packs - is this "ideal"? nope. So how do I make it run, without the 100Ah packs "doing all the heavy lifting" ie charging/discharging faster than the bigger DIY packs?
I connected the two 100Ah packs together in parallel and run them like a single 200Ah pack with a shared connection to the buses. Then I put the connection for this twin pack higher up the bus bar away from the main cable connection to the inverters, where the resistance is very slightly higher. {thanks @Solarod} This keeps all the 280's and the "200" pack very close to a balance.

Back