diy solar

diy solar

Top balancing, try not to laugh

Skypower

Solar Wizard
I had a 2P-16S that used one Daly bms that was giving me trouble so I elected to split bank in two and use two JK’s. Brought them down to 20% SOC and rearranged them. JK’s were flawless in setup and operation but my problems started when I got the cells above 3.4 volts. The balance went crazy and no way would two amps even got close to keep it down. Sure, could have snuck up the voltage really slow but I could tell it would be days for the balancer to do its thing. So power down, pull the balance connectors out of the bms, and pull all the 2/0 diagonal jumpers back off and lay down the buss bars. At least there’s one thing on my side about the battery orientation. Didn’t think I’d ever use my old Rube Goldberg contraption again, glad I did cannibalize it all of it. It doesn’t have the voltage regulator anymore so I got to watch it like hawk and throttle it back variac because after 3.5v things happen fast with 70amps. When it got to 3.65 volts and when the current drops under 10 amps, I call it good. My charge is limited by the #6 Ancor I have and didn’t feel like yanking bigger stuff out of the system. Testing around the busses it’s all within .002 at load. I never thought splitting up a well balanced 2P would be such a pain. The after results screenshot is worth it. My normal absorption voltage is 55.2v the voltage in the shot is 8 hours after top balancing. No, none on the balance leads are pinched and it’s not connected.DFB345B0-CBB6-4C9B-88DB-3B72B73A4EC0.jpeg6B07E492-BFC9-45C3-BE24-EE92A9CF76B8.jpeg6847E6A1-4DE3-4469-B1C8-DADDC98EB4BE.jpegE9B42CC5-1BCB-4459-90FB-3DB0C79A23F9.png

Last edited:
Wow nice work, charger looks good.l! Do you have a scope to see what the ripple is like?
I guess it slowly improves as the current drops off anyway, so not a big concern with those 2 big capacitors.

I had a 2P-16S that used one Daly bms that was giving me trouble

Did you make an effort to match your 2P pairs of cells before combining in series? Or were they paired randomly?
I do not see any labels on your cells so guessing you are treating them all equally.

Are you using any logic in grouping cells in your 2 batteries going forward?

There are things you can do with some effort to create batteries that perform better.

Yes they were paired in opposite values weakest with strongest progression, recorded at low and high SOC which probably accounted for the amazing nice delta in 2P mode. Yes they are labeled, see the little numbers on the QR codes the other lot has blue labels. The jumpers are all qualified by an internal resistance meter and when in service under load I check for terminal to lug voltage. At 50 amps, every junction is under .0007 volt. Knowing what I know now I probably would have left the parallel together just gone with a JK bms with contacts for a 500 amp battery. I do have records of where the batteries were and paired just in case.

Wow nice work, charger looks good.l! Do you have a scope to see what the ripple is like?
I guess it slowly improves as the current drops off anyway, so not a big concern with those 2 big capacitors.
Yeah there was some ripple, another reason to not push it higher than 70 amps.

No, just a lowly machinist, that absorbs tons of information, yet hasn’t found anything to apply it to, that’ll make me rich. Just keep playing the lottery I guess. ?

Back