diy solar

diy solar

Trophy Batteries

Yes. That’s commendable, for sure. I feel badly for them, but they should have given away a dozen or so sets of batteries to people to evaluate in the real world for a year, instead of making paying customers their product development division. I’m not sure what to do with my batteries now.
Yes, I agree. I wouldn't mind at all giving them real world data on it's comm skills with Sol-Ark, currents, temperatures, cell differentials at all SOC's, all while running my entire off-grid home. Just let me know ahead of time, so I can prepare for any emergencies. I think with some BMS tweaking, better quality repairable cells, Trophy would be a winner. Their packaging/cabinet is excellent. 195 lb battery! I've tested my 220 to 130A for over an hour. Power temp never exceeded 50C, Ambient temp inside BMS compartment never exceeded 36C, my 2ga fine wire cables were cool, terminals/lugs/nice circuit breaker were just warm to the touch, cell temps 26-27C. My climate controlled power house was at 20C.

Yes, I agree. I wouldn't mind at all giving them real world data on it's comm skills with Sol-Ark, currents, temperatures, cell differentials at all SOC's, all while running my entire off-grid home. Just let me know ahead of time, so I can prepare for any emergencies. I think with some BMS tweaking, better quality repairable cells, Trophy would be a winner. Their packaging/cabinet is excellent. 195 lb battery! I've tested my 220 to 130A for over an hour. Power temp never exceeded 50C, Ambient temp inside BMS compartment never exceeded 36C, my 2ga fine wire cables were cool, terminals/lugs/nice circuit breaker were just warm to the touch, cell temps 26-27C. My climate controlled power house was at 20C.
I think Dan should hire you as a consultant...

Yes. That’s commendable, for sure. I feel badly for them, but they should have given away a dozen or so sets of batteries to people to evaluate in the real world for a year, instead of making paying customers their product development division. I’m not sure what to do with my batteries now.

I agree with this 100%.

You should be able to get a refund under warranty. As you say I feel badly for them, but you don't want to lose $11k of battery investment.

If a guy wants a system that works and not a new full time hobby what battery and inverter should he be shopping for?

This thread seems like one of many with people having major troubles getting batteries (and inverters) to do what they are supposed to do. What's particularly gut stunning is how many aren't getting resolution.

My 23 year old Surrette's are all but gone but my Trace SW4048's are still going strong.

I was very close to ordering the Trophy but that's over now. The Seplos Mason 280AH battery (not the kit, the complete battery) was my next choice but this thread indicates it has issues as well.

If a guy wants a system that works and not a new full time hobby what battery and inverter should he be shopping for?
That is question of the hour! I didn't want to become an electrical engineer just to have a solar system ..

These server rack form factor batteries have only been around for about 2 years. There is a lot of demand in the market for this kind of product, so a bunch of companies obvious rushed in to fill the need.

There are different tiers of product that you can buy, for example those target the DIY market, and those that are more targeted to the 'normal' homeowner/installer. The later category like the Simplifi and Fortress and others are at least 1.5x more expensive than DIY brands like the Trophy, EG4 etc.. SOK batteries seems get the most love here.

The issue with batteries are that they are heavy and expensive, so purchasing is risky.

This thread seems like one of many with people having major troubles getting batteries (and inverters) to do what they are supposed to do. What's particularly gut stunning is how many aren't getting resolution.

My 23 year old Surrette's are all but gone but my Trace SW4048's are still going strong.

I was very close to ordering the Trophy but that's over now. The Seplos Mason 280AH battery (not the kit, the complete battery) was my next choice but this thread indicates it has issues as well.
I have heard/read nothing but high marks for the SOK 48V from Current Connected and they give very good support. Their cells are also user serviceable so if there is an issue with individual cell you don't have to ship entire thing back you can fix/replace the individual cell which would greatly increase long term reliability of the entire bank.

Sol-Ark and SOK batteries would be what I would research most right now. Not cheap, but better quality, customer service and an actual warranty. I like diy 280aH batteries and tinkering. I've only tried the one Trophy 220aH battery. If Trophy can get the cell quality up, communications improved and bms refined, they will be a good choice.

I have heard/read nothing but high marks for the SOK 48V from Current Connected and they give very good support. Their cells are also user serviceable so if there is an issue with individual cell you don't have to ship entire thing back you can fix/replace the individual cell which would greatly increase long term reliability of the entire bank.
I'd second that recommendation. The SOK is the best rack mount battery imo. Just the warranty alone says everything. 10 years, non pro rated.

I'd also recommend Schneider xw series of inverters if you want something durable that works for decades.

I bought my Trophy batteries based on Will's positive reviews, in his defense, the batteries did seem to balance out well for him, but he also never connected any of the communication cables.

In doing more research, it seems that the batteries that do not charge all the way have a cell that is always lower voltage than the others. For instance, on one pack all cells but one are at 3.415, with a single cell at 3.391.

I bought my Trophy batteries based on Will's positive reviews, in his defense, the batteries did seem to balance out well for him, but he also never connected any of the communication cables.

In doing more research, it seems that the batteries that do not charge all the way have a cell that is always lower voltage than the others. For instance, on one pack all cells but one are at 3.415, with a single cell at 3.391.
Me too. They do some really strange things. I don't even care about the comms. I just want them to be reliable and report accurate SOC. Doesn't seem like to much to ask.

This is at 55.89V with 1-2A going in at the end. Once cell#10 reaches 3.650V with lowest cell at 3.360V, it goes from 90% magically to 100% and shuts off charging for hours. The Seplos BMS will even tell you that the capacity is at 220aH (100%).

Attachments

• 4ADA4B4B-DB5D-42C8-891E-2EDBAE94B3B2.jpeg
    4ADA4B4B-DB5D-42C8-891E-2EDBAE94B3B2.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 11
I'd second that recommendation. The SOK is the best rack mount battery imo. Just the warranty alone says everything. 10 years, non pro rated.

I'd also recommend Schneider xw series of inverters if you want something durable that works for decades.
Not prorated is sure nice.

My Trace SW4048 are the beginnings of those Schnieders so I've got a feel for what tanks they are. 130lbs for a 4000 watt inverter is some pretty serious business.

This is at 55.89V with 1-2A going in at the end. Once cell#10 reaches 3.650V with lowest cell at 3.360V, it goes from 90% magically to 100% and shuts off charging for hours. The Seplos BMS will even tell you that the capacity is at 220aH (100%).
So, is the supposition that this is just a wonky BMS, or a bad cell(s) or both?

Is this the Seplos 280AH DIY Battery? I've got an attractive quote from them for the complete battery that I trying to learn more about. Can you tell me anything about thier "ready to go" battery? It's only $50 more than the kit but if going to be flaky then I think I'll keep looking?

Me too. They do some really strange things. I don't even care about the comms. I just want them to be reliable and report accurate SOC. Doesn't seem like to much to ask.
The problem is bigger than wonky SOC reporting, right? I don't mind adding a Victorn Smart Shunt to the system as I probably will anyway so I can do remote monitoring via the Global Link 520 or CerboGX.

So, is the supposition that this is just a wonky BMS, or a bad cell(s) or both?
150mA balance current doesn't help. But poor quality cells is the most likely culprit. All I can say is that when I'm charging 10 batteries that's the first one to go off on overvoltage protection. And none of the nine other BMS's perform like this one once they reach OVP. All others will turn charging off until the highest cell voltage is below 3.500V, which doesn't take long once the Sol-Arks go into float mode.

Is this the Seplos 280AH DIY Battery? I've got an attractive quote from them for the complete battery that I trying to learn more about. Can you tell me anything about thier "ready to go" battery? It's only $50 more than the kit but if going to be flaky then I think I'll keep looking?
No, mine is the Trophy 220aH battery. A 2P16S. It has a 200A Seplos BMS inside and CATL cells.

Last edited:
No, mine is the Trophy 220aH battery. A 2P16S. It has a 200A Seplos BMS inside.
So, then this battery must be the one with CATL cells.

We recently received three 48V220E-1s. with EVE cells.

Have never cycled them, as we are waiting for the BOS to arrive.

Sorry that all things seem to be not perfect with you folks and your Trophy batts.

This set of Trophy batts are intended to be a backup to the 17 year old Surrette FLAs, and Xantrex SW+ 5548 inverters. Know that these two off grid systems, here, will not go forever, so we think that be will bridge the Li batts with the FLAs, using an AIO inverter ... and so on.

Good Luck, we are watching, from the sidelines with interest. Thanks for the info stream. We, too, wish Dan, and Trophy well. POD

150mA balance current doesn't help. But poor quality cells is the most likely culprit. All I can say is that when I'm charging 10 batteries that's the first one to go off on overvoltage protection. And none of the nine other BMS's perform like this one once they reach OVP. All others will turn charging off until the highest cell voltage is below 3.500V, which doesn't take long once the Sol-Arks go into float mode.
So the much vaunted CATL cells are either over-hyped, or trophy is getting counterfeit. This problem seems too pervasive to be simply a few bad cells that slipped through qa …

So the much vaunted CATL cells are either over-hyped, or trophy is getting counterfeit. This problem seems too pervasive to be simply a few bad cells that slipped through qa …
You can not make that generalized statement about CATL cells. You have no idea what the condition of the CATL cells were that were used in these batteries.

Back