diy solar

diy solar

Turning on PV with Sol Ark 15k before net meter install with zero export

I'm in NH and Eversource is my utility. I operated mine for a few days prior to PTO. I did see a few bursts of 100 watts of export, but no response from Eversource. I didn't have batteries. If you're feeling defiant (I was) go to the "Other" tab in the "Limiter" settings and change Zero Power Export to 200W or more. The inverter will always draw this amount from the grid first, creating a buffer for when loads drop off or clouds suddenly evaporate.
How long did it take to get the approval from the utility after the inspection?

Who sends the documentation to the utility after the inspection - the city or the installer?

How do they let you know it is all set to turn on? Email/ letter?

How long did it take to get the approval from the utility after the inspection?

Who sends the documentation to the utility after the inspection - the city or the installer?

How do they let you know it is all set to turn on? Email/ letter?
The installer sends the documentation to Eversource. Mine went off the rails because the installer used a circuit breaker as a disconnect. Eversource disagreed. Original inspection was late October. Electrician made the change to accommodate Eversource 12/24/22. Before the end of the year, Eversource changed the meter and sent me an email giving PTO. Previously I sent a complaint to the NH DOE. Maybe that prompted the last minute response.

Last edited:
I just spoke with Eversource solar department. She did not understand at first because all the installs here are grid tied only. She took down the details that it is a hybrid inverter and battery setup in limited power to load mode. She asked someone else and later called back to confirm that this is ok. I can do it.

Yay!!

San Diego.
Say what you will,,,but...

Initially ,I turned it on to check my work AND to see what I'll save. Still got a few circuits to hook up to CLP. Savings are too good to pass up while I wait on "them". Left it on! Sometimes I go totally Off-Grid for a week,(checking stuff).
Smart Meter already installed,export set to minimum,20.
Been this way for 2-3 months now.
Haven't heard from anybody about "didly-squat"
Paperwork has been in 3-4 months.

I'm in NH and Eversource is my utility. I operated mine for a few days prior to PTO. I did see a few bursts of 100 watts of export, but no response from Eversource. I didn't have batteries. If you're feeling defiant (I was) go to the "Other" tab in the "Limiter" settings and change Zero Power Export to 200W or more. The inverter will always draw this amount from the grid first, creating a buffer for when loads drop off or clouds suddenly evaporate.
I was scrolling down just to make this comment. I ran on limited to load/no sell mode for 5 months waiting for PG&E, and with the default I think 20w or 40w zero export limiter, I saw maybe a handful of little spikes to the grid. I would think setting to 200+ watts would make it even less likely. I charged batteries and powered loads during the day, and discharged batteries during TOU and overnight down to 40%. I did have a solar ready meter, and it did count backwards during initial testing. My solar company actually left it turned fully on, but I shut off the sell back myself just because I didn’t want to jeopardize getting NEM2 PTO.

I was scrolling down just to make this comment. I ran on limited to load/no sell mode for 5 months waiting for PG&E, and with the default I think 20w or 40w zero export limiter, I saw maybe a handful of little spikes to the grid. I would think setting to 200+ watts would make it even less likely. I charged batteries and powered loads during the day, and discharged batteries during TOU and overnight down to 40%. I did have a solar ready meter, and it did count backwards during initial testing. My solar company actually left it turned fully on, but I shut off the sell back myself just because I didn’t want to jeopardize getting NEM2 PTO.
My second system went live 10 days ago. The installer left it on, so I'll leave it on. Again, I set to not export. Besides harvesting some energy, I want to test the system. I'll get an invoice for final payment as soon as I get PTO. I want some runtime before paying.

OK still no word from local utility ab{ut signing me off.Gonna resubmit all the required "paperwork",just curious here. What do they inspect,,when they do show up ?8,would they even care I have the system up n running? I can disconnected[ if need be.
So,when the utility inspector finally does show.. what's he look for??!

OK still no word from local utility ab{ut signing me off.Gonna resubmit all the required "paperwork",just curious here. What do they inspect,,when they do show up ?8,would they even care I have the system up n running? I can disconnected[ if need be.
So,when the utility inspector finally does show.. what's he look for??!
When mine came he pulled the meter then checked to make sure the house side of the meter was not energized (to confirm the system wasn't backfeeding while 'grid down'), then put the meter back in and that was it. He didn't care at all that I was using PV and batteries in zero-export mode.

Back