diy solar

diy solar

TVS diode for battery-powered electronics

BerndL

I'm going to be running some pretty expensive electronics from a 13.6V LiFePO4 online UPS. Obviously I need a fuse for overcurrent protection, but is it worth including a TVS diode for overvoltage protection?
If the power supply output wandered I could end up with 24V on the system, and while the battery BMS would probably disconnect safely it would definitely fry the electronics. An inverter tripping could also cause a huge load dump voltage spike, the kind that fries unhardened 12V electronics in cars.

I was considering running the battery output through a 12V buck-boost converter for fully-regulated 12V output, but the reviews of those on amazon have far too many black smoke pics for my taste. Are there reliable models available? Victron's is both expensive and calls for a 15+V input.

With how much of a problem this is for car stereo and lighting systems (and marine electronics!), it's weird I can't find much discussion of DC surge protection. Am I just using the wrong searches?

Do these electronics have their own ac-dc adapters? If so just plug them into an inverter. If not perhaps a PC power supply would work?

Victron does make 12v-12v converters with an 8-15v input range.

You should be able to design some type of voltage regulating circuit, but I doubt it's as straightforward as adding a diode. An electrical engineering or electronics specific forum might be a better place to get guidance on that.

Back