diy solar

diy solar

Two electric unicycles + 140kWh of dead cells + Solar panels (Bayliner hybrid)

How are these super powerful EV motors cooled ?
I have absolutely no idea, they do seem to be rather small for the power ratings.
QS motor? Air cooled. Yes, very small and compact.
Still there are not magical and they will overheat fast in any application who don't imply to move a tiny/lightweight motorcycle/scooter who continuously receive important air flow.

Probably near you, Justin from Grin did some test with their hub motor.

Sorry that I disappeared again for quite a while. Yep I spoke to them. The problem is that they use 48V or 72V motors. This voltage is too low to build a power-efficient system. This is why Tesla now moved to 800V DC. Plus they didn't release this product to the public yet. And they don't really know when or if they will do it.

So yeah here is the update! It is running! So the trials are going to start pretty soon. I need a couple of weeks more to finish the battery bank. For tests, I'm assembling a 24S18P 21700 Li-ion bank.

Check out the video at 10% of the power
P.S. Does anybody know how to remove the 25% power output limit on the fardriver controller in reverse?

And also I started to prepare the flybridge for the installation of more panels. Because I want to have there 8 550W panels in total. So the radar arch was banned from the top of my yacht. I also have a video about the process if you are interested.

QS motor? Air cooled. Yes, very small and compact.
Still there are not magical and they will overheat fast in any application who don't imply to move a tiny/lightweight motorcycle/scooter who continuously receive important air flow.

Yep, you're right but when you are going higher in voltage you have less heat. Again I still have an idea just to put there two Tesla drive units XD
I will do the trials on the 2.5kW electric motor that is already installed on the drive shaft and will decide what way I should go. Tesla or QS motor

Thanks to share vidéo. Nice to see this going foward.
The problem is that they use 48V or 72V motors. This voltage is too low to build a power-efficient system. This is why Tesla now moved to 800V DC.
No.
A 48V motor can be 96% efficient and a 800V motor can be 96% efficient.
The difference is the first one will give few kW and the second one will give around hundred kW.

If you plan to play with Tesla motor, the permanent magnet one on the rear of model 3 and Y is quite popular, efficient and powerful.
Ingenext sell all the modules to hack Tesla motors or batteries.

Still, if you plan to go relatively low voltage at 90V (what I consider a good idea), there is many other efficient motors working at that voltage.
But they will require a gear ratio as most run at 4000-7000 rpm.
I have an eye on the Montenergy ME1507 motor for a futur sailboat build. It's efficient, compact, powerful and come in air cooled or water cooled version.
You can also look at crash Zero motorcycles on auction to reused motor/controller from them as they work at ''low voltage'' of 102V.

Back