diy solar

diy solar

Two inverters on earth ground

Luie Lamore

I have 2 small 800 watt renogy systems with 2 60 amp controllers and 4 lithium 100 amp hour batteries each, one 2000 watt inverter and one 1500 watt inverter they are not wired into house but use extension cords to small feezers and a pellet stove when power goes out. I need any info if I can hook up both inverter to the same earth ground or do I even need it for this small systems. I can't get any support from from anyone on this so I joined this forum. I drove in a 8 foot ground rod on other side of the wall from these controllers etc. Any help would be appreciated. everything is all hooked up and working but no earth ground yet tied in. I don't even know if the 8 foot rod is getting a good ground pounded in fairly easy.
in remote Wyoming lots of cloudy days in winter so I had planned to move battery cables from one set of 4 batteries to both controllers on 4 batteries in winter so I would have 1600 watts of panels and shared controllers working together if needed due to low sunlight in winter

I have 2 small 800 watt renogy systems with 2 60 amp controllers and 4 lithium 100 amp hour batteries each, one 2000 watt inverter and one 1500 watt inverter they are not wired into house but use extension cords to small feezers and a pellet stove when power goes out. I need any info if I can hook up both inverter to the same earth ground or do I even need it for this small systems. I can't get any support from from anyone on this so I joined this forum. I drove in a 8 foot ground rod on other side of the wall from these controllers etc. Any help would be appreciated. everything is all hooked up and working but no earth ground yet tied in. I don't even know if the 8 foot rod is getting a good ground pounded in fairly easy.
in remote Wyoming lots of cloudy days in winter so I had planned to move battery cables from one set of 4 batteries to both controllers on 4 batteries in winter so I would have 1600 watts of panels and shared controllers working together if needed due to low sunlight in winter
Connecting to earth, is not grounding.
A grounding system is created by a N/G bond.
You'll have to see if your inverters create a grounding system. Or if they support being connected to a grounding system.
Once a grounding system is established. Then the earth should be connected to it.

I am confused, both inverter companies manuals say they recommend connecting to earth or chassis ground to remove static and lightning protection. when I plug in my led wiring tester to the inverter it shows correct wiring without hooking to any earth ground stake.

I am confused, both inverter companies manuals say they recommend connecting to earth or chassis ground to remove static and lightning protection. when I plug in my led wiring tester to the inverter it shows correct wiring without hooking to any earth ground stake.
It will dissipate static. Not going to help with lighting. (Could make it worse)
What wiring tester are you using?
It may be indicating a grounded system. If so, then you should connect the ground rod to it.
And both to one rod is fine. Or connect them together on a ground bar. And connect the ground rod to that, also.

It will dissipate static. Not going to help with lighting. (Could make it worse)
What wiring tester are you using?
It may be indicating a grounded system. If so, then you should connect the ground rod to it.
And both to one rod is fine. Or connect them together on a ground bar. And connect the ground rod to that, also.
I just added them together through a small ground bar and ran wire from that to rod, Your right and thanks. the tester I am using is in the picture attached Greenlee tester.

Attachments

• tester.jpg
    tester.jpg
    821.8 KB · Views: 4
Back