diy solar

diy solar

[UK] Consumer units with affordable SPDs, AFDDs, and Type B RCDs/RCBOs?

solartist

I recently learned that UK electricians are loath to fit any piece of consumer unit furniture (an MCB, RCD/RCCB, RCBO, AFDD, SPD, or switch) unless the manufacturer has approved that specific item for the specific consumer unit in question. Apparently this is because the manufacturers would disclaim responsibility if a piece of furniture they manufactured failed in another manufacturer's CU, or vice versa.

I don't blame the electricians. I blame the manufacturers, whose policies appear to constitute a serious breach of UK and European anti-trust law. The situation defies a key aim of standardisation (DIN rail mounts, standardised unit dimensions, British Standards, etc), which is to achieve interchangeability of equivalent parts from different manufacturers. After all, a consumer unit is fundamentally just an enclosure - a box!

(If Microsoft said customers can only use Microsoft peripherals with Microsoft PCs/tablets, or their warranties would be invalid, Microsoft would be hauled before the courts. In fact, Microsoft has been hauled before several courts in several jurisdictions for similar infractions in the software domain - and the courts decided against Microsoft's attempted monopolies and in favour of consumer choice.)

I very much hope that a consumer rights organisation, or an industry body, or some other group or individual, will take this matter through the courts and end these monopolistic, anti-competitive practices within the electrical industry!

But in the meantime, I am planning a solar installation, and at some point I will need to have one or more new consumer units, together with furniture, installed/commissioned by a licensed electrician.

I want to pick a brand that will give me a wide choice of components to protect not just against "traditional" faults (the kinds associated with resistive loads), but also from "modern" electrical faults for which protection is now available:

• AC faults up to at least 1kHz from inverter-driven heat-pump motors
  • smooth DC current leaks
  • surges (transient over-voltages) that could damage sensitive electronics
  • series arcing in radial circuits (technically this is not a "modern" fault, but only in recent years have AFDDs become available to protect against it).

AFAICT, this means I will need:
  • Type B RCDs/RCCDs (or better still, affordable RCBOs incorporating type B RCDs/RCCDs)
  • AFDDs
  • SPDs

Looking around, I haven't yet found any manufacturers offering a consumer unit series with all the above items of furniture available for it. For instance, the Electrium Crabtree Starbreaker series (which otherwise seems well-designed for safety) doesn't appear to offer RCBOs with type B RCDs. At least, I haven't found any.

Can anyone here recommend one or several brands that offer all the above components, in a single product range (so that licensed electricians would not balk at using them), at reasonable prices? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Can anyone here recommend one or several brands that offer all the above components, in a single product range (so that licensed electricians would not balk at using them), at reasonable prices?

CEF seems to be the most(?) popular wholesaler of CUs and their furniture in the UK, so seemed a reasonable place at which to start narrowing things down. There are only three brands for which they offer AFDDs, MCBs, RCBOs, SPDs, and Type B RCDs: Hager, MCG, and Proteus. So I guess that answers my question.

CEF doesn't seem to currently offer any RCBOs with Type B RCDs.

(so that licensed electricians would not balk at using them), at reasonable prices? Thanks in advance

Hi solartist

I don't know if you'll ever find a manufacturer making all those parts , you might HAVE to mix and match ...

You clearly know more about it than I do lol , but basically I think what you're saying is manufacturer won't warranty equipment that's installed in other companies consumer units ?

Are you sure you can't find yourself a good friendly electrician that'll just fit it for you anyway ?

All you'd missing out on is the warranty, it'll still be totally electrically safe

I don't know if you'll ever find a manufacturer making all those parts , you might HAVE to mix and match ...

Thanks. It looks like I'll have a choice of at least Hager, MCG, and Proteus for CU furniture. (Other than RCBOs containing Type B RCDs, which no-one at all seems to make yet.)

manufacturer won't warranty equipment that's installed in other companies consumer units ?

Apparently not - at least, not within the UK. (And I think maybe it applies vice versa, as well: if a CU fails to contain a fire properly or suchlike, the CU manufacturer would apparently disclaim responsibility if the CU contained furniture from other manufacturers.)

Are you sure you can't find yourself a good friendly electrician that'll just fit it for you anyway ? All you'd missing out on is the warranty, it'll still be totally electrically safe

I haven't chosen an electrician yet, and this will be one of the questions I ask them when the time comes. But at least now that I've found a few brands that meet my requirements, I can be prepared in advance - in terms of budgeting, circuit planning, etc - for the possibility that the electricians all refuse to install heterogeneous CUs and furniture.

Yes you're comment is correct about mixing items in the consumer unit, at least that's what I have heard.
I think sparkies will more than likely want to install their own so they can make a profit.

I did read a few years ago that anything past the consumer unit can be regarded as a D.I.Y job. I'm guessing that the regs changed very quickly to exclude this bit of info.

Type B rcd's? I have heard from various people that the regs state type A should now be used, so I have just changed all my RCD's from AC to type A :mad: .
Thank you very much for this information solartist, I'll start looking for my own type B or B+ now.

Here's some info I found on the net: https://electrical.theiet.org/wirin...7/rcds-everything-an-electrician-should-know/

Last edited:
I did read a few years ago that anything past the consumer unit can be regarded as a D.I.Y job. I'm guessing that the regs changed very quickly to exclude this bit of info.

Not quite.

Adding a new circuit or modifying or adding to a circuit in a notifiable location (i.e. a room with a bath or shower) are notifiable. A bit better than the original Part P but still excessively nannying.

Changed in 2013 from the original 2005 legislation.

Adding any new circuit or 'modifying-or-adding to a circuit in a notifiable location' (i.e. a room with a bath or shower) are notifiable. A bit better than the original Part P but still excessively nannying.
Amended for clarity. Also (annoyingly) the replacement of a consumer unit is notifiable. But at least it seems we have quite relaxed regs compared to the USA and much of mainland Europe.

Back