diy solar

diy solar

UK CU connection for inverter

dslrx9254

I feel I have already run into a headache with regards connecting the Inverter to a CU. There seem to be a number of problems.

• Sparky may refuse to connect equipment from different manufacturers.
    • Existing CU manufacturer is defunct and it's an old edition so not very realistic picking up new modules for it. I really don't want to change the CU but seems like a lot of sparks will use the regs as an excuse for a pay day on something I don't want unless it can be done without a lot of hassle or excessive cost which seems unlikely.
  • Any new connection to the CU may be notifiable.
    • Anyone know what is involved, would the sparky do this or is it on me?
I wanted to ask about bringing in a new cable by drilling through the breeze block behind the existing CU but if I can't even find out how to get the above taken care of at a reasonable cost then that seems irrelevant.

So have people managed to get sparks to connect to an existing CU without issues or have they run into a bunch of problems?
Alternatively are there any good suggestions on how to work round this?

I used the sparky that the factory I worked at used, good reputation and hopefully he had the inclination that if he was difficult he would lose out on the business at work. He did everything I asked for and easy to deal with. I wanted a new CU fitted with the lighting circuits not covered by the RCD so if it tripped I could still see in the dark and get to the CU and troubleshoot plus a 3 way isolation switch so I could use a generator during a power cut. When I upgrade the CU again I will go RCBO on all circuits.

@kommando Thanks for your reply.

I think your comment that you felt you needed an angle to come at him with to make him play nice tends to speak volumes. It sounds like it must have been expensive to change the CU.

Out of interest when your CU was changed did he have to go to every socket / fitting and inspect them all or was all the work done at the old / new CU?
Did your sparky do the BC notification or was it on you?

In some respects it might be nice to start a thread with typical costs for certain jobs you are probably going to be forced to get done by a 'professional' I think that inflation may have been used as an excuse to double the typical price of some jobs. It was at least my experience that even basic non skilled work is disproportionately expensive.

There is no need for BC notification in Scotland for most items as long as you use a Sparky with the correct qualifications and then they can self certify, different in rest of UK.

Can't remember if he tested every socket but it was done later anyway by the DNO when they came to repair the incoming line where some connections on the overhead poles came loose. I had volts but no amps other than enough to get an LED to flicker, first they thought the 100A fuse had gone until I pointed to the LED, also the fuse checked as unblown and then they checked the poles and found a loose nut and then checked and tightened all the nuts.

It was a decade ago so pricing would be of no use.

Back