diy solar

diy solar

Cable vs Cu strip

djm45

I have some connectors that are very close, like an inch or two, barely enough space to create a cable with two lugs. Can I use a 1”x1/8” piece (length dependent on electrode distance) of 110 Cu to create the connection? It seems that the cross section ought to be close to a AWG 2 cable so resistance should be similar. I can drill holes appropriate to the electrode stud size. Is this off base? Are there other parameters I should look at? The Cu strips are readily available in 1/4” thicknesses as well for around $20 for a foot. I could wrap electrical tape around the exposed copper to make it a bit safer.

thanks, David

You're describing a bus bar. Bus bars can handle much higher current than their equivalent gauge wire because they have no insulation to catch fire. Wrapping them in electrical tape means they would be rated for whatever temperature for which electrical tape is safe.

Sizing the bus bar consistent with other wires in the interconnects is appropriate.

Thank you for your comments. I just ordered some high temp electrical tape for wrapping the bars.
I’m going to use copper bars and heat shrink tubing to wrap them between batteries.

• 2:1 shrink ratio
  • 600 Volts
  • -55ºC to 125ºC
  • Seals and protects
  • Resistant to common fluids and solvents
  • flame retardant

Back