diy solar

diy solar

Unable to turn off SOK 48v server rack battery BMS

MilkMan

Has anyone with one of these server rack batteries had the issue of being unable to turn off the BMS? I believe Jakiper and SOK use the same BMS. Initially the reset button worked but only a week later and it won't shut off.

I've disconnected the positive, negative and communication cables. The breaker is off, reset button held, LEDs cycle one at a time, and then nothing happens. The screen stays on and the LEDs return to normal.

At the same time I cannot get it to communicate with my Victron Multiplus 2. I'm not sure if the problem is user error or related to the above problem.

The battery otherwise is performing perfectly.

@HighTechLab will probably be able to help you.
Can you see down the hole and see if the reset button is still lined up with the hole?
Sometimes they get bent backwards if too much pressure is applied.

@HighTechLab will probably be able to help you.
Can you see down the hole and see if the reset button is still lined up with the hole?
Sometimes they get bent backwards if too much pressure is applied.
I can feel the button being pressed and the LEDs begin the shut off procedure by blinking one at a time. You may be right though that I should open it up and physically inspect.

I can feel the button being pressed and the LEDs begin the shut off procedure by blinking one at a time. You may be right though that I should open it up and physically inspect.
If it is starting the shutdown then I doubt it is the button.
Give them a call. I hear Dexter takes good care of his customers.

Hi @MilkMan I also will reply to your email, but posting here so that other users can profit from the experience.

It appears that when you are trying to power the battery down, you are holding the RST button for too long, so the BMS only resets instead of shuts off. Video (uploading now) shows how once the lights start to blink, you need to release the RST button and it will successfully shut down.

Hi @MilkMan I also will reply to your email, but posting here so that other users can profit from the experience.

It appears that when you are trying to power the battery down, you are holding the RST button for too long, so the BMS only resets instead of shuts off. Video (uploading now) shows how once the lights start to blink, you need to release the RST button and it will successfully shut down.
You were exactly correct. I had it in my head that I needed to hold reset until the lights went out. Releasing after the LED sequence began allowed it to power off correctly. Thank you for being so helpful.

I was having a hell of a time with this also. Every time I thought I had the bms off and turned on the main breaker on the unit would come alive. I disconnected main lead on one unit and did the procedure and it shut down properly, the other unit connected to the inverter showed a lower voltage around 42 volts. Disconnected the inverter and was able to get the unit asleep. The voltage was residual in the inverter and power button for a few seconds took care of that.

This was driving my crazy as well. I just saw PlaneBatteries' post and disconnected one lead between the battery and the rest of the rack. The BMS shudown using the RST button. Many thanks.

Back